Am I cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wethead4

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So now i'm questioning if my aquarium has cycled... I ran my new filter on my old 16 gallon aquarium for about 10 days. I transferred it, along with 2 cups of gravel (in a nylon stocking from the old tank into the new tank. I added 3 platys and some live plants. the following week, i added 6 neon tetras doing 15% water changes every week. I've been taking nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia readings every other day and everything has looked ok. But on the other hand, i never experienced an ammonia spike either. I was thinking maybe its because i jumpstarted the aquarium with the gravel and seeded filter? Am I cycled?

When you say the readings were ok what were they?

nitrite was 0, ammonia was 0 (never received an ammonia reading above 0 though), nitrate is tough, i think it has a touch of orange in color when i add the tester, so i'd say either 0 or somewhere between 0 and 5

If they are reading 0 after 6 weeks with fish in the tank should be cycled yeah. I would have expected a higher nitrate reading though? I presume you are using the api? How often do you test and do they always read 0?

If they are reading 0 after 6 weeks with fish in the tank should be cycled yeah. I would have expected a higher nitrate reading though? I presume you are using the api? How often do you test and do they always read 0?

Thats what my thinking was, I should get a clear reading above 0 of nitrate, atleast from what i've read. I am using API. I test about every other day. The nitrate reading color is very similar to the ammonia color.

I'll try to snap a picture of my tests tonight.

Hello wet...

Putting the used media from the "settled" tank into the new tank will get your new tank started. You are wise to test your water daily. Depending on the size of your new tank, the water properties could change very quickly and you don't want to harm your fish. You should consider larger water changes. If the tank has cycled, then larger, weekly water changes will do much more to maintain healthy conditions for your fish and plans than small ones.

B

Thats what my thinking was, I should get a clear reading above 0 of nitrate, atleast from what i've read. I am using API. I test about every other day. The nitrate reading color is very similar to the ammonia color.

I'll try to snap a picture of my tests tonight.

Yeah a picture would be great. It sounds as if it has cycled as putting in media from an established tank is a great way to fast track the process. The only thing of concern is that nitrate is produced as a final product in the cycle and yours appear to be at 0-5...

Yeah a picture would be great. It sounds as if it has cycled as putting in media from an established tank is a great way to fast track the process. The only thing of concern is that nitrate is produced as a final product in the cycle and yours appear to be at 0-5...

heres the pic, what do you guys think?

Attachments

• 20130808_211751[1].jpg
    20130808_211751[1].jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 60
You definitely should have higher nitrates if cycled-curious! Nitrite looks like 0 to me but maybe a hint of ammonia. How long is the tank running and how long are the fish in??

You definitely should have higher nitrates if cycled-curious! Nitrite looks like 0 to me but maybe a hint of ammonia. How long is the tank running and how long are the fish in??

seeded my filter for about 10 days in an old tank. then put it in the new 29 gallon tank along with some gravel from the old tank. I put in 3 platys immediately. (I read somewhere that I should do this or the bacteria may die on the filter?) after another week, I added some neon tetras. What do you guys suggest I do now?

seeded my filter for about 10 days in an old tank. then put it in the new 29 gallon tank along with some gravel from the old tank. I put in 3 platys immediately. (I read somewhere that I should do this or the bacteria may die on the filter?) after another week, I added some neon tetras. What do you guys suggest I do now?

I'd just keep regularly testing the water and see if there are any ammonia nitrite rises just in case. When they go above 0.25 do a pwc. Just double double check your test kit is in date and you are doing the test to the letter. If you are still concerned you can bring water to lfs and they can double check.

I'd just keep regularly testing the water and see if there are any ammonia nitrite rises just in case. When they go above 0.25 do a pwc. Just double double check your test kit is in date and you are doing the test to the letter. If you are still concerned you can bring water to lfs and they can double check.

Thanks for the advice. should i do about a 20% change if they go above .25? didn't know the test kits can go bad, i'll look for the date on the box. I just bought the nitrite one, but the ammonia and nitrate tests i've had for a couple of years now. Can i assume i'm not cycled until i get a nitrate reading?

Well it works like this. If you have a reading of 0.5 ammonia, you need to do a 50% change to bring it back to 0.25 which is relatively safe for the fish. If you have a reading of 1, and do a 50% change you are now at 0.5 and now need to do another 50% change to bring it to 0.25; that is assuming you have 0 ammonia in your tap water. Make sense?

I would assume you should be seeing nitrates in a cycled tank yes.

Well it works like this. If you have a reading of 0.5 ammonia, you need to do a 50% change to bring it back to 0.25 which is relatively safe for the fish. If you have a reading of 1, and do a 50% change you are now at 0.5 and now need to do another 50% change to bring it to 0.25; that is assuming you have 0 ammonia in your tap water. Make sense?

I would assume you should be seeing nitrates in a cycled tank yes.

got it, thanks... would you have an idea about how much longer it will take for this tank to cycle?

Back
Top Bottom