Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-30-2006, 05:02 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with the others that the cycle is likely nowhere near complete.Why not just return the goldfish and transfer your fish, substrate, and filter out of your 30 gallon? I do that every time I upgrade a tank and it works fine for me. Think of it this way: the bacteria in your old filter and substrate are present in sufficient quantities to support the bio load in your 30 gallon, so really you're just moving much of it over. That's not to say you won't experience a mini-cycle; you may. But that is much easier to control than a regular fishy cycle. Or, just do a fishless cycle. Chucking a couple of shrimp in there is much easier than pwc's every day or two as in a traditional cycle.

Also, James brings up an excellent point about your filtration. Your fish are going to get large, and seriously messy. I would add AT LEAST an Emperor 400, but I do think that a large canister would be a much better choice. Try to get the intake tubes down near the substrate. If I'm not mistaken, a 90 gallon is 24" deep, right? You'll probably need to use whatever intake extension tubes are included with your filters.

One more issue, IMO: Do you plan to find a new home for your Managuense? I would strongly recommend that you do, before your fish hit sexual maturity and all hell breaks loose in your tank. At adult size a Managuense will be much more aggressive than your oscar or severums, and I really think they will be in big trouble. Your tank looks huge to you, but remember that it is still just a 4 foot tank- not a lot of room for large fish to claim territories.

JMO

severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:42 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes, glad you asked, my Managuense is going to my LFS. I've read up on their extreme aggresion. I am going to return the goldfish to the LFS along with the jag cichlid as well.

joannde thanks for the advice, I retested and made sure I shook the 'bejebbezes' out of 'em. Nitrates are showing the shade inbetween 5 and 10 ppm. So that's good, right?

I also added 2 capfuls (10ml) of Kent pH Minus when I set it up, as per the article on fishless cycling.
I think I'll move a bit of the decorations as well.

How am I doing so far? I don't particularly have the funds for another filter, I may moove the 30gal HOB onto the 90 in the meantime? I also am going to get a python next Petsmart visit.

Old 12-31-2006, 09:21 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good job on the shaking ! LOL. Did you test your tap also ? that will give you a baseline to determine where you are in the cycle.

Python - you'll love it ! I couldn't see having a large tank without one - even with my 35G and 10G it makes things ALOT easier.

Tags
cycle, cycled, led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com