Am I cycled? Colour chart 0<>0.25

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cormack12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, I think I am cycled now but just need someone to cast their eye over these results and see if they agree.

Important note: I did a control test straight from tap water and after five minutes it matched the exact colour of the ammonia test. I couldn't show it in pic as I only have three test tubes - one smashed. These were all fresh tests.

So is it more likely I have 0.25 ammonia in tap water or is it more likely the colour closeness is just me being too cautious? The readings were the same yesterday as well.

Water test taken 30 minutes ago
5ouzIeM.jpg

And rather than start new threads for two quick questions as well:

>> Thinking of going with two snails and 3 cherry shrimp - what is their bioload like?
>> I bought one of these thermometers but it was displaying the water temp as 20c - my heater should be heating at 26c. I've put a new heater in there again (100w) and will look in a few hours but is it likely these can be out by 6 degrees??? And is it likely a brand new heater thermostat is broken??

Cheers

How long did you cycle your tank? Did you just do a big water change? Did you see measurable ammonia, nitrites and nitrates throughout the process?

Yeah sorry, should have mentioned. I started the cycle 3rd Feb I think. I used ammonia and seeded with bacteria supplement and was monitoring the nitrite and nitrate levels. Nitrates hit about 50ppm on Friday. Nitrites were lower but present.

I did a 90% water change on Saturday and added a piece of bogwood and 4 plants from established tank. Ammonia went up to 1.0ppm, so I did a 50% water change on Monday, then have just been monitoring ammonia really until it hit this level (0 or 0.25), then done the three tests above yesterday, repeating them tonight to see if anything had moved.

That's a quick cycle if your getting high nitrate readings already. Usually takes twice as long. The plants would eat the nitrates giving you the low reading. Add more ammonia and continue and see if you get nitrate readings again.

I would do another 48 hours feeding ammonia to 2ppm tonight and if your ammonia and nitrites are zero tomorrow afternoon and your nitrates are up then repeat for one more night. If you did a fishless cycle and seeded the filter it could have cycled by now. If okay after 48 hours do a 50% water change and add fish slowly no more than 2-3 every week until you're stocked.

Back
Top Bottom