Am I Cycled???? Getting Excited!!!hee hee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tjohanso

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
29G FW, 150W Heater, Aqueon Quietflow 20, Air Pump w/ stones on each end of tank. Set-Up 8/16/11 w/ Fish-IN Cycle. Using API Test Kit.

Stock: 3 Mollies, 4 Guppies, 1 Baby Angel, 1 Albino Cory, 2 Long Fin Tetras, about 12 Ghost Shrimp & 1 Spotted Hi Fin Pleco.
(I am aware of the schooling needs of some of my fish & that the pleco is too big-LFS did not ask about my tank when I bought the pleco 1 week after tank set-up & my schools were larger but ammonia spikes due to lack of cycle knowledge has ruined the schools) Once I am cycled & make sure I am not overstocked due to the pleco I will complete my schools.

Last 75% PWC was 10/25/11 @9am due to .25ppm Ammo, 0ppm Nitrite, 5ppm Nitrate, & 7.6 PH.
Results since that PWC.
10/26/11 5pm Ammo/Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5ppm
10/27/11 10am Ammo/Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5ppm
10/27/11 6:45pm Ammo/Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10ppm
10/28/11 8am Ammo .25ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, & Nitrate 20ppm (doing a pwc as we read)

With the above results and the fact that I did not have to complete a PWC in 3 days I am thinking that I am very close too or am cycled???????

I hope I have given enough info for a proper response. If not, lemme know whatcha need. HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!:dance:

You should be cycled by now, I would think. Have your nitrites risen and then fallen? Also not sure where the slight ammo reading on 10/28 came from; it can be hard to tell the difference between 0 and .25 on the API kit though (testing some spring water and comparing it to the tank ammonia test can help determine if it's truly 0).

You could very well be cycled. Just keep testing daily and do any water changes if needed. Congrats for doing well by your fish!

Just FYI, your filter isn't really adequate for your size tank though. You may want to either upgrade to a larger filter and move the media over from the current filter or get a second filter and run both on the tank.

I also believe you are currently overstocked so you may not be able to fill out the schools. If the Long Fin Tetras are the African ones they can get up to 5" and are too large for your tank. Also the Sailfin Pleco (I believe that's what the Spotted Pleco is called but I could be wrong) can get up to 15" so that will have to go as well. I'd rehome the Pleco and Tetras and fill out the Corys. Also more filtration ASAP (just don't get rid of your current filter media). Being overstocked and being under-filtered could explain the slight ammo reading on the 28th.

Good luck. :D

Thanks librarygirl...
I will be upgrading the filter & heater as soon as I can come up with the extra money. I lost my job so money is a little tight. :(
I am definitely rehoming the pleco and then will re-evaluate my stock. If I can fix my schools I will or just leave them as is. They've done good so far.

I'm excited to know my cycle is almost done. If not, complete. I will stay on the testing to make sure.

THANK YOU!!!!

Back
Top Bottom