Am i cyled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcgolg76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Started my fish in cycling ten days ago in my 75g. Yesterday my nitrites were purple. Way too high. Did about a 35 percent water chances yesterday. Just did my readings and zero nitrites and a good bit of nitrate. Now I did use a piece of filter mat from old tank and some decorations but it took a week for nitrites to show up. Can't believe my nitrites disappeared in four days. Took forever to drop in my other two tanks. Am I cycled? Not gonna add any fish till Tuesday cause I am losing power for a few hours Monday night.

I guess pic would help

Looks like a tiny trace of ammonia. Less then .25 but can't really tell

Attachments

• image-3255679395.jpg
    image-3255679395.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 41
Looks like you are there or there Abouts. Should really get ammo to the yellow colour. It's really hard to tell at times and you almost convince yourself it is 0ppm because you want it to be.

Best thing to do is to get some bottled water and test it for ammonia then test your water. Hold them both flat in your palm and you will clearly see what colour 0ppm ammonia is and what yours should look like.

My worry is that if you have 0.25ppm ammonia and you add more fish, you are going to get more ammonia until your bacteria grows enough to take on the new bio load. Best to start from 0ppm when you add more fish or you risk the danger of going over the dreaded 0.25ppm ammonia.

When you do add more fish, only add 2-3 3 being absolute max. Also ensure they are fish with a small bioload.

Good luck

Good ideal about using bottle water as control. Sometimes really hard to be sure on tests. Just can't believe how fast nitrites dropped. Wouldn't add any fish till Tuesdays at earliest cause of scheduled power outage. So gonna be plenty of tests done before then.

Back
Top Bottom