Am I overstocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Are these fish compatible?

• No

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Yes; if raised together

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes; with enough hiding places

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Sometimes; depends on fish

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Fisherlander

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a new 29 gallon planted aquarium, with:
-2 Anubias Barteri
-1 Java Fern
-1 Jungle Val
-2 Small Driftwood

After (fish-less) cycling, I plan to add the following fish:
-5 Cardinal Tetras
-1 Black Angelfish
-1 Dwarf Gourami
-1 Red Swordtail

What do you guys think about this combination? Is this too much? If so what should I remove? Also, I have heard both sides of stories about Angelfish and Cardinals together.

Your Stocking Question

I have a new 29 gallon planted aquarium, with:
-2 Anubias Barteri
-1 Java Fern
-1 Jungle Val
-2 Small Driftwood

After (fish-less) cycling, I plan to add the following fish:
-5 Cardinal Tetras
-1 Black Angelfish
-1 Dwarf Gourami
-1 Red Swordtail

What do you guys think about this combination? Is this too much? If so what should I remove? Also, I have heard both sides of stories about Angelfish and Cardinals together.

Hello Fish...

You wouldn't be overstocked. However, you don't want to put small, brightly colored fish like most Tetras in with larger fish. They could become lunch. I think the Anglefish get too large for a 29 G. I don't believe you can get female Dwarf Gouramis. The Dwarf variety are pretty peaceful. A female Swordtail would be fine. The males are agressive, though. I'd pass on the the larger fish and get a dozen or so Cardinal or Neon Tetras for now.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B

IMO the angel is fine I'd eliminate the dg andante the livebearer and add a bn pleco switch the school of cardinals for lemon tetras, dwarf rainbows or something similar and you're stocked.

Angelfish

I think that I am set on the Angelfish (probably a full black, or koi color). Most places on the internet seem to be saying that a 29 is ok for an Angel. I'm fine with removing some others but I am set on the Angel.

well they do get very big i dont have xp with them myself but there is a pet store in covina that has some angles and their barbs or whatever the long things are called are HUGE no way in heck they would fit in a 29g but i have no idea how old those are or if black angels get that big.

aoessand said:
wouldnt the angle get too big for a 29?

They only get six inches long and as a 29 is fairly tall and long it should be fine. A 29 is minimum for an angel if you want tank mates with it IMO.

People breed pairs in 29s, and then put the babies in tens until they can sell them, your fine. 1 angel with a few Fish is great, just know that angels are a type of cichlid and can get aggressive. As posted above, small shiny fish can become snacks. Swordfish are livebearers so just keep in mind that you might end up with a pregnant female, which means either cute treats for fish, or a big hassle in taking care of them.

Looks good to me, though like others say, some of the smaller fellas could become angel food once it gets bigger.

Back
Top Bottom