Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-12-2006, 06:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Am I seeing things? Tadpole or Molly Baby

Alright,
So I just got my 28 gal stocked yesterday, and I saw one of my 6 black molly's chasing something that appeared to be a tadpole. I figured it might have been a baby, so I did some research, and found out that the Mollies typically have multiple offspring, not just one.

I then saw it dig into my gravel substrate, so I know I am not just seeing things. I got the fish from Pet Smart, and they did have frogs several tanks down, so is it possible a tad pole made it to the tank, and got caught with my fish? I really think I would have seen it in the trasnsportation bags... Could my Molly just have had 1 offspring???

On a side note, the Mollies killed a few of my neon tetra's, which I found quite odd. I say it was them, as one was trying to eat one.

James

Old 09-12-2006, 10:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to WaterPond Send a message via Yahoo to WaterPond
Livebeares will always eat their young, thats probably just what happened.

Canadian Aquarium Auction!
WaterPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
i dont think the mollies killed the neons, but rather the neon was dead, and the molly went after it, its normal
Old 09-13-2006, 12:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to jcarlilesiu
You probably noticed the molly "picking" at the dead neon which died for some other reason. I have seen mollies aggressive to other fish like gouramis but never neons.

How long has this tank been established? Got some tank specs?

As far as what you are seeing, it could be the only remaining fry of a litter from that molly. I have had some molly fry survive but they need alot of cover to hide from predaters. If you don't have much cover for them to hide in, that is why it is darting around the tank. IMHO i highly doubt its a tadpole
jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 12:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I really didnt think it was a tadpole either, but I am surprised I only saw one or two of them. It is a brand new tank, its my 3rd day having it set up.

It is a 28 gallon tank. I am set up with about 2-3 in of gravel substrate, several decorations for hiding, a 30 gallon rated HOB fileter, and a 200 watt heater. I am going to go get some fake plants today to give any future fry a better place to hide out.

It was probably a dead neon, I noticed several dying off actually. I am not exactly sure why unless they were not healthy coming from petsmart. No other fish have met the same fate other than most of the neons. I can't locate 2 of the red swordtails, I am assuming they are hiding as I see a few fish hanging out in my structures.

All of the tests read at practially 0 PPM for Nitrite, Nitrate, and Ammonia. PH is right at 7.0. Taknk is just alittle cloudy as it was just set up the other day.

Thanks for your help

James
Old 09-13-2006, 12:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you did not cycle your tank prior to adding fish that could be the reason that your neons are dieing. neons are great fish but are not very hardy. Others on here can give you more info on cycling your tank with fish.

GOOD LUCK

VOTE FOR AA TODAY
mom2reds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 02:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

As stated, being that the tank is only 3 days old, it hasn't cycled yet and is probably the explination for your fish deaths. please see this article for more information on properly cycling a tank.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...q=2&fldAuto=15

this article is geared to the salt water people but is pretty much the same concepts and methods as freshwater
Old 09-13-2006, 03:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I added a large does of Prime and Stress Zyme, and was on the understanding that would provide sufficant bacteria to be alright to add some fish in right away?

James
Old 09-13-2006, 04:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

That information is incorrect. With the exception of properly contained Bio-Spire (sp) and a few other select products which people have reported success, your tank is not ready for fish as of yet.

You can cycle the tank with fish in it, however, if not properly maintained during this period, you can expect additional fish loss as well as harmful living conditions for those that survive.

Get an Aquarium Pharmacuticals Master Freshwater test kit and maintain ammonia and nitrite levels under .25 ppm until you see them disappear completely and only nitrates present in the tank. At this point the tank will be fully cycled.

Prime is a product intended to remove chlorine and Chlormines from tap water as well as eat up SOME ammonia and other harmful toxins to your fish. During this cycle period however, its ability to stablize the water will be overwhelmed by the amount of ammonia and nitrite in the water.

If you do a test and the levels are above what i just posted, all that is necessary is a partial water change 25-50% with new fresh tap water. Be sure to add more prime. The cycle will take anywhere from 4 - 8 weeks maybe long due to the cycling with fish and constant water changes.

Tags
baby, molly

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com