Am over stocked on my 30L?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alex07

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Am I over stocked on my 30 gallon long? I have 5 Danio Zebras, 5 gold tetras, 5 cardinal tetras, 5 bloodfin tetras & 5 ghost shrimps.

alex07 said:
Am I over stocked on my 30 gallon long? I have 5 Danio Zebras, 5 gold tetras, 5 cardinal tetras, 5 bloodfin tetras & 5 ghost shrimps.

What type of filtration do you have and how often do you do pwc's? I don't trust Aqadvisor (at all), but they only put you around 70% stocked. That's within the margin of error IMO. Stocking really comes down to not only bio-load...but also filtration, commitment to maintenance and pwc's and swim room. Common sense is really the best measurement.

I don't think that is bad at all. I prefer a larger school of one type of tetra but your stocking should work.

eco23 said:
What type of filtration do you have and how often do you do pwc's? I don't trust Aqadvisor (at all), but they only put you around 70% stocked. That's within the margin of error IMO. Stocking really comes down to not only bio-load...but also filtration, commitment to maintenance and pwc's and swim room. Common sense is really the best measurement.

Thank you.

eco23 said:

I am using 2 filters 1 that came with the tank which is a whisper 40i i think it says that on the filter and a aquatech 5-15 that I was using on a 10 gallon that i broke down the very same day i got the 30L. I also put the driftwood and the plants to transfer the bacteria to the new tank. Only using those 2 filters for a couple weeks waiting for my tank to settle down than i'll be upgrading.

alex07 said:
I am using 2 filters 1 that came with the tank which is a whisper 40i i think it says that on the filter and a aquatech 5-15 that I was using on a 10 gallon that i broke down the very same day i got the 30L. I also put the driftwood and the plants to transfer the bacteria to the new tank. Only using those 2 filters for a couple weeks waiting for my tank to settle down than i'll be upgrading.

Personally I don't think you're overstocked at all. If they're in a new tank, the deco and plants should help...but keep close eye on the ammo and no2 to make sure you don't mini-cycle. I assume you moved all the filters and media over too? Just in case...here's a great link to help you make sure the new tank stays stable-
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

GrimmGoby said:
I thought Cardinal tetras got pretty big? Am I wrong?
Both cardinals & gold tetras grow up 2 inches at most.

eco23 said:
Personally I don't think you're overstocked at all. If they're in a new tank, the deco and plants should help...but keep close eye on the ammo and no2 to make sure you don't mini-cycle. I assume you moved all the filters and media over too? Just in case...here's a great link to help you make sure the new tank stays stable-
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

Yes I moved every single thing from the old tank, Including the filter & sand. I put the sand from the 10 gallon on top.

alex07 said:
Yes I moved every single thing from the old tank, Including the filter & sand. I put the sand from the 10 gallon on top.

Good deal :). If you moved over all the filter media you should be good to go. It's still a smart idea to keep an eye on ammo and no2 for the next week or so just to be safe.

Your not overstocked, but be warned... All those schoolers, while you have appropriate numbers, can cause problems in the future. There is lots of competition for food, and all the competition happens in one zone of the tank, which can cause a number of issues.

Homedog98 said:
Your not overstocked, but be warned... All those schoolers, while you have appropriate numbers, can cause problems in the future. There is lots of competition for food, and all the competition happens in one zone of the tank, which can cause a number of issues.

So what should I do? I didn't think it would of been a problem.

alex07 said:
So what should I do? I didn't think it would of been a problem.

If you can, get more tanks... But if you can't, just keep an eye on them and hope you don't run into trouble.

Homedog98 said:
If you can, get more tanks... But if you can't, just keep an eye on them and hope you don't run into trouble.

What type of trouble can I run into?

alex07 said:
What type of trouble can I run into?

Aggression, competition for food, diseases will spread like wildfire (not enough species variation), and just flat out not enough swimming space in that area could all happen.

Homedog98 said:
Aggression, competition for food, diseases will spread like wildfire (not enough species variation), and just flat out not enough swimming space in that area could all happen.

Homedog you're scaring me, lol. You mean too many types of Tetras in one community tank?

Back
Top Bottom