American-flag Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lepomis

Aquarium Advice Freak
My American-flag fish have started to spawn. After several weeks of conditioning (solid diet of brineshrimp, tubifex worms, duck weed, and algae) and introduction of spawning sites. I first was undecided about where they would spawn since I came across several opinions on the web. I had my ideas but went with three areas. I first made a spawning mop and ditched it after a few days. I didn't like the effect and the fish really had paid little attention to the mop. I felt the current levels were too high for use of the mop or the lack of it being a natural spawning source. I next added a clump of water lettuce with well developed roots dangling in the water column, some hornwort, and red ludwiga to the mass. Still no takers. I cleaned some areas made and indentation and added some pool sand. This recieved some attention by a few of the females but lacked any protection. My final area was next to a piece of driftwood and was planted with an unknown Lilaeopsis. This was the the area used for spawning. After much displaying the male would pair up with the female and would swim into the deeper clumps and lay side by side with the male slightly cupping the female. Usually for around 10 to 15 seconds. The intresting thing was the other females would swim down to the corner and wait. The male and female would swim out and he would then take another female into the same area and repeat. He spawned with all three females over the course of several hours. After that he chased the females away and is guading this corner of the tank deligently. A few times he has allowed one female (the largest) to spawn additionally. Picture one: male guarding Picture two: the harem

temp:78.6 °F
pH: 8.4
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 5
kH and gH: 350 (test strip reading)

img_429093_0_5906056b2199acb85db7f6f45cf0e746.jpg

img_429093_1_5bb54f0e3b8c3df19f80d999e47080a8.jpg

Congratulations on getting your American-flag Fish to spawn. I have four (two males and two females) that have just started to show some interest and I'm looking forward to see how they do. I have a 10 gallon tank that is heavily planted with dwarf sags as well as Cryptocoryne wendtii. I think the dwarf sags will provide the ideal spawning area.

Congrats...those are a very pretty and interesting, yet overlooked fish...I have a few eating some hair algae in scattered tanks...I may follow your lead and spawn mine when they are done their clean-up job.

i bought 2 but one died around a month later from unknown causes. my best guess is the mail was harassing.

i think those are wild because they have alot bigger fins and some orange than then mines

I had trouble keeping my flagfish alive - so yes, good question, who is your supplier or do you know where your lfs gets them from?

thanks.

I don't know where my LFS gets them. I will say that my fish are in a lot better health than when I bought them. Color was very pale and over health was poor, except for my initial female. My fish consumed mostly algae, I would estimate over 95 % of their diet is vegetable based at this point. I know the LFS feed frozen brine shrimp, tubifex, etc... but no vegetable matter. The fish where very thin and typically I would avoid this like the plague when purchasing fish but was fairly confident it was the lack of algae or other vegetable matter. I initially took no steps to reduce algae in my tank when adding the AFF. They ate non stop. They would strip algae off of everything possible. The kept it in balance all was good. I started adding plants to the tank and the algae has suffered so I supplemented with some boiled spinanch and other veggies. I also feed a pinch or two of duck weed throughout the week. It is eaten readily although they still prefer algae. I manage to grow enough in my filter/sump area above the water line and on some filter media I positioned to keep slight wet and add this to the main tank every week.

My LFS couldn't get American-flag Fish for more than a year and just got a batch of juveniles in a few months ago. I bought four from that initial batch (at $1.89 each) and one male died after about a month. Since then the store has gotten in at least two more batches of juveniles and I bought a male to replace the one that died. The American-flag Fish will eat just about anything in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom