Ammo wont go down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CanadianWaters

Aquarium Advice Addict
Day 12 of my fish less cycling in my 15 gallon tank. Have used Goldex Ammonia to start my cycle and am using a Nutrafin liquid test kit. My ammonia hasn't dropped even a little?

OK so as of right now you have too much ammonia in your tank. What's happening is that your ammonia is so strong that it is killing the bb before it can ever start. So what your gonna want to do is do a 100% water change, get new water in it dechlorinate it and then reintroduce your ammonia into your tank, you want your test to show .5 ppm of ammonia, test every day after this until you see your ammonia go down and you should be at a good spot to continue with your cycle. Remember try not to go too much over .5 ppm on the test kit readings.

OK so as of right now you have too much ammonia in your tank. What's happening is that your ammonia is so strong that it is killing the bb before it can ever start. So what your gonna want to do is do a 100% water change, get new water in it dechlorinate it and then reintroduce your ammonia into your tank, you want your test to show .5 ppm of ammonia, test every day after this until you see your ammonia go down and you should be at a good spot to continue with your cycle. Remember try not to go too much over .5 ppm on the test kit readings.

Uhh i disagree. The ammonia takes a whole for the initial drop. Dosing to 4pp is a way to do it. And it takes a while for the bb to break it down. I don't thin you should start over.

I have been following the directions off an article on this forum that suggested dosing to 4 ppm?
Just wait? Patience isn't one of my strong points

Lol I think that could be the best way to go about it. And I hear ya, fish less cycling is boring! But when I got my ammo to drop and started seeing trites and trates I was actually surprised how fun and into it in was!

Every time I drive by the pet store I swear the fish ask me to buy them!
Thank you for your help

Every time I drive by the pet store I swear the fish ask me to buy them!
Thank you for your help

Agree. And for me its the fish I know aren't right for my tanK! Like a big Red Oscar someone returned, like "hey you, come over to the tank. Yup, I'm a nice fishy"

Patience is definitely a virtue in fishless cycling. But you get so much time to research and plan your stock. :)
Do you have an airstone running? What temp is it at?

Patience is definitely a virtue in fishless cycling. But you get so much time to research and plan your stock. :)

Agreed, I kept looking at the tank and imagining what looks best. As I've looked up just about every fish over heard I and made sure it could/couldn't work

O believe me I'm a research person and have found out everything I need to know on done fish I will most likely never had.

Temperature is at 80 degrees and I don't have an airstone but I lowered the water so the filter water splashes down on it

What filter are you using? I dont thing you should start over.... Just be patient in my opinion.

You can turn the heater up a bit to help things along. 84 or so. Just remember to turn it back down when you get fish.

Yes that's also a good thing to do. Make sure your getting a lot of o2 exchange also

4 ppm is an arbitrary value repeated on fish forums. Unless you are wanting to dump an entire stocklist into a newly cycled tank (which I do not personally recommend), you do not need to dose ammonia to this point. Lower is fine, then stock slowly once the tank cycles through. Stocking slowly gives you more room for error anyway.

Back
Top Bottom