Ammonchlor tank cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Uhmm iv kindof lost the colour chart for ph but it is the same colour as the nitrate colour sheet at 0ppm
:S I'm not the best at explaining things...

I don't have the chart in front of me but is it a yellow color on the regular ph test? Or is it the high range ph test. & it's pale orange color?

Uhmm lol not sure I'm not at home because I just finished work -.- (saving up for my fish hehe) I'll let you know when I get home which might be a while because I'm going to my favorite fish store ^.^

If high range is at the lowest color then youll want to use the normal PH test. I'm assuming you're using the API kit? I'd advise to shake all of the bottles for a few seconds before testing. With nitrate, shake and bang both bottles for 30 seconds and then the test tube for a full minute and wait 5 minutes for the results (that test in particular can be finicky if not done correctly). Try shaking all of the test bottles and waiting 5 minutes for each result and then post the results again here, just to double-check the last test, then we can go from there.

Lol well I don't think I'll be able to drag my self out of bed right now but I'll do the test in the morning. :)

Ok. So here's the story. I was running out of my ammonia API test bottles so I was only filling the test tube half way and putting 4 drops of each test tube to get the reading. Yesterday I bought a new one and tested it properly.
Now I find out that iv been dosing my ammonia to 8 ppm -.-

Ammonia 8 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate (shaken) 5 ppm

Ok. So here's the story. I was running out of my ammonia API test bottles so I was only filling the test tube half way and putting 4 drops of each test tube to get the reading. Yesterday I bought a new one and tested it properly.
Now I find out that iv been dosing my ammonia to 8 ppm -.-

Ammonia 8 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate (shaken) 5 ppm

Ok, ammonia that high can keep the cycle from happening, so that's probably the problem. Do at large water change (minimum 50%, but a complete one would be best), wait an hour and then test ammonia. If it's between 2-4, keep it there, if it's less than 2, try to get it up to 2 (don't bother with 4 right now unless it's already there after a water change). If it's still higher than 4, do another water change. Don't forget dechlorinator :)

Reactions: jlk
I'll do the water change after school :) thanks for your help :)

This is the test I did now :) I haunt done the water change yet, just wanted to make sure o wasnt reading it wrong XD

Attachments

• image-2467407597.jpg
    image-2467407597.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 35
After water change

Ammonia 4-5 ppm
Nitrite not even .25
Nitrate 5 ppm

HMM...
I just randomly decided to check my extremely neglected cycling tanks parameters :/ it's a 30 gallon and about two months ago I added some ammonchlor to it but didn't read.
The readings are

Ammonia 4ppm
Nitrite off the charts
Nitrate 160

My 67 gallon isn't doing too well :/
The readings are

Ammonia 5ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 10ppm

The 30 gal is probably stalled due to the high nitrites; do some large water changes to get the nitrite to a readable level on the chart, then dose ammonia to 2.

For the larger tank, the overdose in ammonia could have stalled things. Have you tested PH in both tanks too?

So I emptied out all of the water from that tank and then filled it again and put two goldfish in (for the poop) and I'm just about to take them out :)

Ammonia 0.25ppm
Nitrite .50ppm
Nitrate 10ppm

Back
Top Bottom