ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laurap439

Aquarium Advice Newbie
we bought new 48 litre tank about 3 weeks ago and let it settle for 4 days we then added a small fish which later died, we took the water from the fish tank to be tested and was found to have ammonia in it,we was told to empty a quater of the water a 4 days and then try again which we did and still amonia in it told us to do the same and clean the filter in the tank water which again we have done and still amonia can you please help us.since the fish has died therehas been no fish in tnhe tank.

Welcome to AA!

First, I'm going to move this to FW - Getting Started forum.

What you're experiencing is normal. Your tank needs to "cycle" to build up a community of bacteria that will consume the ammonia and keep things in livable conditions for your fish.

In my signature below, there's a link called the "Nitrogen Cycle". Have a read over that and it will explain in great detail what exactly is occuring in your tank.

It's important to note that any elevated levels of ammonia (or nitrIte) in your tank are harmful to fish. Due to this reason, we prefer to use what's called a Fishless Cycle (also a link in my signature) to make the tank ready and safe for fish before actually adding any fish into the tank.

Have a read over the articles and let us know if you have more questions.

Back
Top Bottom