ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
5 ppm is 5.0 If your ammonia is 5ppm then you need to do water changes now, and keep doing them until you lower it.

oh okay i was confused if someone told me 0.5 is high or 5.0 is high so thx

mine is at like 1.0 right now

1.0 ppm is still high enough to bother the fish. I would do a water change today, and do daily ammonia tests and water changes until the ammonia level is 0. What size is your tank?

I consider an ammonia reading of .25 to be high enough to do a water change. What does everyone else think?

Yep, I concer!
A trace of ammonia can lead to problems IMO.
Water cahnges can solve this easy.
Try running AMMO Chips in your filter this will help reduce the ammonia also.

i did like 2 25% water changes yesterday so i think its at around zero right now

The ammonia level is falling --Good! Are you at 0 or close? A level of .25ppm can even be too high for the fish, so keep testing and doing changes!

I would continue to test the ammonia level daily, for about a week, to make sure the level stays stable at 0, and of course, do water changes as necessary.

krap101 - Was this an already cycled tank or was this a newly set up tank? Seems like we are all assuming already cycled tank but I'm not sure if that was said or not. :?

If it is supposedly already cycled and you experienced a spike in ammonia to 1 ppm then you really need to figure out why. That is not normal and could be symptomatic of a larger problem. For example, a dead rotting fish fouling up your tank water.

If the tank is just being cycled then I would just keep up water changes to keep the levels around .25 until the cycling is complete.

its not cycled yet... i got my fish before i figured out about the cycle thing... should i ask lfs to take care of my fish for about a month?? will they let you??

will a bio wheel help?

The biowheel won't help right away, it's just a good way to maintain an established colony of the necessary bacteria. Your fish will be okay if you continue daily water changes, but not twice daily. Your ammonia is low enough (assuming it's on the way down) that you could probably do between 10% and 25% daily.

Back
Top Bottom