Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
+1 to Jeta. If you can give more info maybe we can help more? Do you have fish? What type? How many? What size tank? What is the ammonia level?

Hi guys I have 11 fish , guppys , a Pleco, 4 tetras , one Congo tetra , glass catfish , molly , 2 dwarf gourami . The tank is 110 ltrs , amonia is at 4.0 ppm I have put amolock in so not sure of the true reading as its sposed to convert amo to non toxic form , 50% water change last night . Should I do another one each day ? Worried about the effect it will have on my fish , any help will be appreciated

Guppy 74 said:
Hi guys I have 11 fish , guppys , a Pleco, 4 tetras , one Congo tetra , glass catfish , molly , 2 dwarf gourami . The tank is 110 ltrs , amonia is at 4.0 ppm I have put amolock in so not sure of the true reading as its sposed to convert amo to non toxic form , 50% water change last night . Should I do another one each day ? Worried about the effect it will have on my fish , any help will be appreciated

With your ammo that high you may have to do more than one water change in a day & it won't hurt your fish so long as you use your water conditioner & temp match. That ammo needs to come down or you will lose fish. Do at least a 50% water change personally I'd do a bigger water change, wait about an hour test again if it's still above .25 do another water change. It's a pain but it'll keep your fish alive. Most will say not to use Ammo-lock, I only use Prime which detoxifies ammonia, nitrites & nitrates.

Thank you this product called prime , is it like amo lock , where the readings still show ammonia in the water ? Where can I get it from as I'm in the uk and seen it on here loads

Guppy 74 said:
Thank you this product called prime , is it like amo lock , where the readings still show ammonia in the water ? Where can I get it from as I'm in the uk and seen it on here loads

It does not remove the ammonia so yes it should still register when you do your water test. I bought my Seachem Prime at a local pet store & I've also bought it online from Amazon which is typically less expensive however I am in the US.

If ammonia is at 4 youll need to do at least a few 50-60% back-to-back water changes to get those levels down ASAP. Prime dechlorinates the water and helps detoxify the ammonia between water changes to keep the fish safe but it shouldn't be used in place of water changes. Most dechlorinators do the same thing so whatever you have on-hand right now is fine; the most important thing is to do those water changes. You're pretty heavily stocked for a cycling tank as well. What kind of pleco? Don't bother with the Ammolock.

Back
Top Bottom