Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h2ogirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tap water tests between .25 and .5 for ammonia. Do I need to buy safe water? I'm about to start cycling a new tank.

Hello...
Ammonia. In my tap water. A little help here please.

Tap Water Chemistry

My tap water tests between .25 and .5 for ammonia. Do I need to buy safe water? I'm about to start cycling a new tank.

Hello h2....

You can use your tap water. Seachem has a product called "Safe" that will detoxify the ammonia. You can also use ammonia removing padded filter media. Acurel has a very good product. I wouldn't go to the expense of using filtered water.

B

Thanks! So the test will still show ammonia, but it is not harmful at that point because it's neutralized? Cycling will still work the same? I'm new and this is a variable I am not sure about. Thanks again for your help.

Ammonia in Tap Water

Thanks! So the test will still show ammonia, but it is not harmful at that point because it's neutralized? Cycling will still work the same? I'm new and this is a variable I am not sure about. Thanks again for your help.

Hello again h2...

The Seachem product is a white powder. It will remove the ammonia on contact with the tap water. I'm old fashioned and still use 5 gallon buckets when I do my water changes. I just add the amount suggested on the label to the bucket as it fills and that water goes directly into the tank.

The "nitrogen cycle" won't be affected.

B

Back
Top Bottom