ammonia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Japola44

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my 55 gal tank for a week read 0ppms for ammonia. So, I slowly added the fish making sure the ammonia stayed at 0ppms. However, the last 2 days its read at .25ppms and thats after moving one fish to my 20 gal for fin repair. I also moved my powder blue gourami in there today, because the other one nipped off a peice of fin. Is there any way i could lower the amount of ammonia? There are only 2 fish and a snail in the tank right now. Do you think if i added some bacteria starter it owuld help? Nitrates and Nitrites read out 0ppms and my pH is 7.6. I added the bio bag from my 20 gal into the 55gal, but i think the melafix would have killed all the bacteria in it :?

edit- i want to clarify that the melafix is being used only in my 20gal aquarium.

blarg.. i know about cycling.... It was cycled trust me i wouldn't add fish if i wasn't. I used my 20 gal filter to seed the tank, and gravel from my 20 gal to seed it. I added one fish at a time. I did everythign ur supposed to do. blah i'm so fustrated.

Could it be something in my tap water? I just did a water change the day before the ammonia levels rose? I can't figure it out. I take out a fish and my ammonia levels rise... :x

but you don't have any nitrates??? If it was cycled you would have nitrates.. even with the plants you should hav e some trace of nitrates in there.

If it is cycled then you can do small daily water changes to reduce the ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom