Ammonia advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubbleguppy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I've gotten an API test kit for my cycling 10 gallon
and results are showing 1.0 ppm ammonia, i've been told 3 ppm should be in there before it starts converting to nitrites.
I've bought ammonia and added it to the tank before, I ended up getting a really dark green color over 4 ppm on the chart, so I changed the water that day and it was back to .50 ppm. 2 days after I added two droplets of ammonia to the tank, and tested 1 ppm yesterday. I've tried using a calculator for ammonia based on the volume of my tank but it gave me a result with too much ammonia and it was a bit confusing for me, and i've heard of the API quickstart and the Tetra Safestart , and im curious if its worth spending money on these to speed up the cycle? Should I add ammonia ? How much?

Keep ammonia between 2 and 4 ppm. No more than 4. Any amount of ammonia would get eventually converted to nitrites. Just need the bacteria to do it. Just be patient.

Mixed reviews on either of them. If you can get seeded media, that’s the best. Otherwise things just happen a bit slow...

The only bb in a bottle that I would trust is doctor tim's one and only. I have never heard of that failing it is really expensive especially at this time of year with the recommended packaging.

By your calculations so far it looks like 8 droplets of ammonia should put you at about 3 ppm

Back
Top Bottom