Ammonia alternative in fishless cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

latvian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello

I am in the process of cycling a new fish tank but I can not find any store that sells pure liquid Ammonia in my area (Stockholm, Sweden). So, the question is: is there an alteranitve for the liquid ammonia to help in the fishless cycling?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Fish food or raw shrimp works well. The problem is it creates a bad smell and also we have no clue how much ammonia it produces and it takes longer but it works :)

55 Gallon- Empty
125 Gallon- CKF and Tiger Oscar
220 Gallon- To come...

Don't bother with any shrimp or flake food, it is a very dated method and will leave your tank a stew of unwanted nutrients.

I recommend the use of a cleaning product which contains Ammonia in a pure form.

I use Kleen-Off.

I think it's some American household cleaning tool but it contains 9.5% Ammonium Chloride.

I picked it up from Amazon for £3.50 on a 500ml bottle.

I dose 1ml per 10G to get up to 3ppm Ammonia.

It is absolutely perfect to use on any fishless cycle.

This is my current cycle of a 10G Salt Setup

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I use the same as post above. Might cost a bit in postage but product is cheap and you'll probably only ever need one bottle. Dosing is easy because the bottle has a narrow spout.

Dr. Tim's Aquatics sells ammonium chloride solution. It's cheap, but you'll have to pay for shipping from SoCal.

Thank you all for your reply.

I ordered KleenOff from Amazon.co.uk for 10£ and according to the seller it should arrive in 3-4 days so that I can get started with the cycling process. :)

It may be late now, but you may want to research using #1 (not the post, the visit to the pot).

Sent from my Android with one arm in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom