Ammonia and Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It almost sounds like the tank is not (or has not cycled). The numbers to some extent make some sense. On 2/19 before your water change the ammonia number was 1.0, then you did a 50% change which would halve that number to 50% , which is what you report on 2/21. Is the nitrite moving at all? When you post the numbers can you post all 3 Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate?

What all is in the tank? gravel? you said plant(s)..live? anything else?

You're not cleaning the lid, or glass or anything else with any cleaner are you?

I think you said the tank was for your child. Any chance that he/she may be sticking their hand or anything else in the tank to 'play with the fishy'?

PH 6.6
Ammonia 1.0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5.0
I have not noticed a change in the nitrite but i did not check everyday when I got it cos the books said weekly.(another mistake)
It has gravel in the bottom. Im not cleaning anything in the tank with any products.
The plant I have in is egeria densa and is in a pot.the fish seems to like it. I had another plant but it wasnt doing well. I think it were a vallisneria gigantea or looked like it.but gone now. and my kids arent bothering the fish at all.

Do you know anyone with a healthy aquarium? If so I'd recommend checking to see if they would let you borrow some of their filter media or gravel. The media could be shoved in your filter and the gravel put in an unused and unwashed panty hose (to keep it from mixing with your gravel if different color) and placed in the back of the aquarium. This would seed the aquarium with the beneficial bacteria and hopefully get things moving.

By this point I would expect to see the Nitrite increasing to some degree. Perhaps a faulty kit? You could take a sample of your water to the LFS to have them verify your results. If they get the same results that would help eliminate your test kit as the issue.

thanks for everyones help. my fish died during the night.

Sorry to hear that Jodee. Will you try again? If so, I'm sure it will go better next time. A little knowledge goes a long way, so read up everything you can on the nitrogen cycle and ask questions on anything you don't understand.

thanks for that. i do want to try again. but will need alot of advice me thinks and i dont wanna be puttin fish in until right. not sure if im gonna carry on with filter or just go with water tho.

Back
Top Bottom