ammonia as tank cleaner?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

momo

Aquarium Advice Freak
My landlord has a big tank sitting outside. Its been there for months and its really dirty. Would it still be safe from sitting out side? And would ammonia clean it well?

Vinegar or Bleach will do a good job. If you use bleach, mix 1 part bleach to 10 parts water, then when you're done, soak the tank in water and add 5x the recommended dose of de-chlor. Razor blades will also probably help you out. If the seals look good, leak test it before going through all the trouble of cleaning. If they look cracked or shrunken, go ahead and re-seal it. It takes a couple hours, but will only cost probably $10 if that in supplies.

use vinigar or a 1 part bleach 19 part water mixture to clean it no soap and check the silicone seals if they look ok and theres no cracks in the tank after you clean and inspect it fill it let it sit for 24-48 hours and if theres no leaks congratz you just got ur self a new tank

Okay, thanks all.

Would a pressure washer be to much for it?

Shucks... That would make cleaning a breeze!!!!

I used vinegar/water mix and a razor blade in my tank and it worked extremely well.

Ill try that. Because there is a thick coat of green on it.

Here's what about 10 razor blades and a bottle of ammonia did for my 150g...

From this:
img_1282558_0_01ccb49b906c3b43bc412f5a10ca5b56.jpg

To this:
img_1282558_1_66e55f7d786f3e6b8ea64338304a8696.jpg

This one has that green stuff.... Literally everywhere

Back
Top Bottom