ammonia done i think, nitrite now. help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Ben

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've had my tank for some time, about 3 weeks maybe. I think my tank has been cycyling during all this time. I think the fish have been in there for 2 and a half weeks. I have 2 balloon mollies left over from 3. Well i was doing partial water changes every 2-3 days. The dead one never looked that energetic alive. Then I started testing for ammonia just a little while ago and these are my results:

March 22: 1.0 ppm
after water change 0.8 ppm

23: 1 ppm
after water change 0.6 ppm

24: 1 ppm

25 after water change: 0.50 ppm

26: 0.50 ppm

27: 0.50 maybe 0.40?

after water change 0.25 ppm

28: 0.25 ppm maybe lower couldn't tell

29: 0

so now I'm wondering about the nitrite part. I don't have a test kit for that and I couldn't find one. Should I keep doing water changes and if so how much and often? I want to keep these mollies living and add another female or two to releif the one I have in there from being hit on constantly asap, but only when it's safe to.

Although it looks like things are moving in the right direction for you Ben, nobody can give you an accurate answer without knowing where your nitrites and nitrates are. My guess is that the nitrites are now climbing. Do you have a nitrate test kit? I wouldn't add any more fish until you get a positive reading for nitrates, and you ammonia is zero. In the meantime keep doing the water changes.

It spent one week for me to let nitrite down.

Everyday I changed 10% water during that time. But I still lost two ghost shrimp. But after nitrite became 0, two days later, I lost one of my panda cory. I don't know what happened to him.

Added new fish unless your nitrite become 0. Otherwise, you will have hard time as me.

My tank has been setup up for 6 weeks so far. I plan to add new fish.
This time I will learn lesson. Don't add too much once a time.

Back
Top Bottom