Ammonia drops quickly to 0 but trAtes and trites are off the chart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolf0311

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i didnt know about the nitrogen cycle so i added a bunch of fish and they all died after a couple of weeks. im starting a new tank the right way this time, but i dont understand how my ammonia could drop in a matter of hours but nitrAtes and nitrites could be off of what the test kit can show me. im adding 4ppm of ammo every time it drops to zero. someone please help!!

The beneficial bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrItes are different than those that convert nitrItes to nitrAtes. The second kind take longer to build up. So you are still at a point in the cycle where the bacteria that convert nitrite to nitrAtes are there but haven't built up enough yet. Don't worry, this is normal, you are on the right track.

Edit: Fishless cycling FAQ http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1298738

thank you so much!! i was really worried that i was doing something wrong or having fish previously in my tank messed up the cycle :lol:

Back
Top Bottom