Ammonia (fishless cycle)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
4.0ppm ammonia. Anybody have a clue when I will start seeing any kind of drop???? The 19th will b a full month since ammonia was added to fish less cycle. :)

4.0ppm ammonia. Anybody have a clue when I will start seeing any kind of drop???? The 19th will b a full month since ammonia was added to fish less cycle. :)

Soon, I hope!

I haven't cycled a lot of tanks, but I read somewhere (probably here, maybe even this thread, though I haven't looked back) that those with an unusually long ammonia cycle tend to have shorter nitrite cycles, and vice versa.

Hopefully this will be true for you!

Good luck!

Hi, I might have missed it but what does your filtration consist of? This is key on how quick your cycle will be.

Hm, this is odd. I've seen it before (don't ask how long my fishless cycle took lol) but I've never figured the cause.

I do have one question (well maybe two lol):

1) Did you use dechlorinator when you filled the tank? If so what kind? (sorry if you mentioned this before)

2) What are you using to dose ammonia? Is it accurate? It might be the photo but the green in the photo looks darker than what i remember 4 to be on the API Kit but again it might just be the light in the photo. Overdosing ammonia can cause a stall as well.

I have two suggestions:

A) Do a 100% water change (use dechlorinator of course), wait an hour and then test ammonia (make sure you shake both bottles for a few seconds and then wait 5 minutes for the results). If you still have ammonia then you may have overdosed. If you don't, then only dose to 2 instead of 4.

OR

B) You mentioned this is going to be an upgrade to a 10 gal? What's in the 10 gal now? What you could do is move everything over from the 10 gal (fish, filter or filter media) and anything else you want to this tank. If the 10 gal is cycled and you move the media over the larger tank should then be cycled as well (monitor levels for a week or so just to be safe though). Just remembver if you add new fish, do it slowly and only once you're sure levels are stable because adding more fish is going to add to the bacteria load and they'll need time to adjust.

I also saw your stocking post a few pages back but I'd like to know what from the 10 is going into this tank before I suggest anything else.

Whether you do A or B is up to you. Let us know what happens :)

Reactions: jlk
API brand. And the chart for dosing and a ml
Syringe. But I do have faith that it's gonna happen. Just needed a pep talk. The lighting is off. I now take it outside with very good light and ck it's still 4.0. I will retest Thursday r Friday morning and let ya know. Thanks everyone.

API brand. And the chart for dosing and a ml
Syringe. But I do have faith that it's gonna happen. Just needed a pep talk. The lighting is off. I now take it outside with very good light and ck it's still 4.0. I will retest Thursday r Friday morning and let ya know. Thanks everyone.

Sounds good. You could still do the water change; maybe the minerals were depeleted somehow from sitting in the tank for 4+ weeks. A water change can't hurt anyway and it might kickstart something (fingers crossed!).

Ok. Tested water this am. 4.0ppm ammonia. 46 gallon fw fish less cycle. Water level is about 4-5 inches below top. What to do? Let it ride til the 19th? R wc? Also how much water change?? Thanks again for everyone's help. :)

I would say a wc (100%), wait a bit & recheck your ammonia then only dose to 2ppm. You can also add a double dose of conditioner just in case your water has high levels of disinfectant. Keep us posted! :)

The 19th of July will b a full month. Which is only 4 days from now..... I will go get some tetra safe start and do the wc. Dose only to 2.0ppm ammonia and go from there.

Forgot to ask. Which one do I have to beat up? Rites r rates bottles???

Assuming I understand the question, nitrate #2 on the API Master Test Kit.

Shake vigorously for at least 30 seconds before adding, then shake capped tube for at least a minute after that.

Nitrites is just add the drops, shake 5 seconds, and wait for the color to develop.

I am a newbie. So I am not sure. I will have to see what others might can suggest. I was so glad to finally see a change. I am just waiting until I can put my fish in!!!! Whoa!! Whoa!! I hope I am seeing daylight with this fish less cycle. :)

I am a newbie. So I am not sure. I will have to see what others might can suggest. I was so glad to finally see a change. I am just waiting until I can put my fish in!!!! Whoa!! Whoa!! I hope I am seeing daylight with this fish less cycle. :)

I've always cycled fish-in, so will let others with more fishless experience answer whatever questions you have on next steps, but I just wanted to say...

Ammonia drop!!

WooHoo!!

Thats great!!! I would not be too concerned with zero nitrites at this point. Just continue to dose & keep us posted!! :)

Back
Top Bottom