ammonia help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ochana25

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone new on this site and love how there is a app for the phone lol anyways I have a 90 gallon setup which is fully cycled I have 3 Id 3 Bala peacock eel yesterday I added a parrot cichlid and ammonia has spiked to 4.0 did partial water change last night and today its still high any advice should I do partial change every couple days till ammonia drops

Hi and welcome! How large of a water change did you do? With ammonia at 4 you'll need to do three-four 50-60% water changes over the course of a day or two to get it down.

thank you for the reply umm i only did like a 10 percent change but i will do a 50 percent change is it possible then when i put in the new fish when i purchased from big als i put the water in the bag in my aquarium to because the tank was normal until i put in the new fish with the water from the bag

heres a pic with the testing

Attachments

• 20130218_181807.jpg
    20130218_181807.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 75
Not sure, there probably wasn't much water in the bag that would cause ammonia to go to 4 in a 90 gal, but who knows. Sometimes when you add new fish the tank can go into a bit of a mini-cycle until the bacteria adjusts to the new load. Rising to 4 in one day for one fish seems high though but regardless just do the extra water changes until the bacteria catch up. Was the tank at 0 ammonia before the new fish went in?

A cycled tank should never see ammonia at that level, that's very high. What's that 4.0ppm or higher?

That ammonia was 0 couple days before I put the new guy in yes the ammonia looks like it's at 4.0ppm I'm about to do a 50 percent change hopefully it will help

That ammonia was 0 couple days before I put the new guy in yes the ammonia looks like it's at 4.0ppm I'm about to do a 50 percent change hopefully it will help

Ammonia won't jump from 0 to 4.0ppm in a 2-3 days for one fish, unless you fed for hours and hours and hours or something like that. Something else is going on. Maybe a bad kit or tap water has an issue.

I recently have been dealing with a pH issue, all of a sudden the local water jerks decided to do something and now my pH out the tap is 6.0, annoying when I was only buffering if at all for a pH of 7.6. Almost lost my whole tank cause if it.

http://youtu.be/cAGb4Fr9K20

I was thinking the same thing, there is no way 1 Parrot fish made the water go from 0 ammonia to 4 in 2 days if the bio filter is working properly

Not gonna happen, OP can you give more info on your tank? Filtration, stock, last water change and gravel vac of you have gravel. Also maybe a full tank shot (FTS)

its a 90 gallon and heres the pic of the filter now i can do a big water change but i just tested the tap water and the ammonia is also high there to, im running 2 heaters, im running that current wave maker heres couple pics of my tank setup and filtration system

Attachments

• 20130218_213228.jpg
    20130218_213228.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 20130218_212731.jpg
    20130218_212731.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 57
its a 90 gallon and heres the pic of the filter now i can do a big water change but i just tested the tap water and the ammonia is also high there to, im running 2 heaters, im running that current wave maker heres couple pics of my tank setup and filtration system

Ok well now that makes sense. Your tap is high do of course it will be high in your tank. You may have to look at distilled water, RO water etc for water changes. That is a deadly dose of ammonia and your tank isn't converting it fast enough.

That video is crazy I know what ya mean I think I'm stressing out more then the fish are barely slept last night cause I was thinking of it so much anyways I just tested the tap water but ammonia wasn't as high as it was when I checked it before it was just a bit over 1ppm so I did a 50 percent water change and cleaned the gravel also put in the prime product to help condition water gonna recheck in the morning if ammonia hasn't dropped will find a way to get distilled water what's RO water

RO water is reverse osmosis...a lot of the saltwater people use it. What is your ammonia reading right out of the tap?

hey guys so i just finished testing my water got my ammonia down to 1.0ppm still not good but improving should i do another water change in couple days or should i wait it out

May I suggest dosing with amquell or a similar product to neutralize the ammonia while you determine the root cause?

Umm I have the big als conditioner and the prime product

Do either neutralize ammonia? It'll say on the label if it does. If not even the Walmart here carries amquell so it shouldn't be hard to find.

Back
Top Bottom