Ammonia - how long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chriznat20

Aquarium Advice Freak
You would think I would know this after knowing the cycle process in and out, after having aquaria since I was 9 years old!!

I shut down my very well established, 2 year running, 29g f/w tank and transferred the plants and decorations to the new 46g tank. I also transferred my Penguin 200b power filter.

I had to change the cartridge in the filter - it was clogged and literally falling apart. So I ditched it and put a new cartridge in.

Its been 8 days now. I have nitrates (.25 or so), no nitrites (because presumably the nitrites are being converted into nitrates), but I do still have some ammonia (.25 or so).

The way Ive always understood it is, if you transfer things over from an established tank, then you have 'instant' cycle. The bacteria are on the plants, decorations, and in the filter and in my case, its bio-wheel, but at the very least the filter itself.

So then why would I have any ammonia after a week? When will the nitrifying bacteria kick in? Should I buy a boosting product?

You're most likely hitting a mini-cycle due to tossing your filter media. Did you move the same stock over to the new tank? Add new fish?

It would only have been an "instant cycle" had you duplicated the tank in its entirety when you upgraded to the larger one. In this case, removing the filter media meant you no longer had a duplication.

You're most likely hitting a mini-cycle due to tossing your filter media. Did you move the same stock over to the new tank? Add new fish?

It would only have been an "instant cycle" had you duplicated the tank in its entirety when you upgraded to the larger one. In this case, removing the filter media meant you no longer had a duplication.

Crap. I knew that when I did it, but was hoping enough of the BB was attached to the walls of the filter, the bio-wheel, pick up tube, etc...

Well what I did do, and forgot to put it in my original post - I took a coffee mug and dug it deep into the old established tanks substrate and then set the mug in the corner of the new tank. Should I take that gravel, bag it (nylon?) and put it in the back of the filter? Would the BB be happier in the filter box than the new tanks substrate?

EDIT: sorry, didnt see your bottom question. Yes, it is the same exact stock except I did buy a snail to keep the sand company..lol

Awwwwww, the sand will be ever so happy now...... :D

You're probably almost cycled. I would just trudge through the rest of the process doing water changes. Why drive yourself crazy when you don't have to?

Definitely do NOT add any "boosters". It might actually crash what you've got so far. I don't see any reason for a magic coffee cup trick either. ;)

Awwwwww, the sand will be ever so happy now...... :D

You're probably almost cycled. I would just trudge through the rest of the process doing water changes. Why drive yourself crazy when you don't have to?

Definitely do NOT add any "boosters". It might actually crash what you've got so far. I don't see any reason for a magic coffee cup trick either. ;)

I thought for a minute that when I tested the water this morning that the ammonia decreased ever so slightly, but with the API test kit its so hard to tell. The color is a very light green, almost like a granny smith apple. In certain lights, it looks half yellow (which indicates 0 ammonia on the little card).

Regarding the established cup of substrate I have in there - do you think its serving any purpose? Because honestly, its ugly and killing my mojo when I look at the tank, I'd love to remove it. I could always remove the mug and put whats in there (black gravel) into some kind of bag and place it in the filter box.... but I dont want the black gravel on my nice new sand bottom :fish1: :D

Hey, if it's wrecking your mojo, yank the sucker. It's not doing much for me either..... :cool:

Back
Top Bottom