Ammonia in tank before fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Glad to hear it. :) Just test PH periodically, if it doesn't rise to what your tap water level is or continues to drop then try a bit more argonite.

I used a big handful and left it in the tank so it's easier to take out if I need. I'm debating if I need to buy an alkalinty test. My tap water is so high in ph that you'd almost think it's hard but not for sure. Anyway I'll keep my eye on it but I'm hoping the tank doesn't rise quite that high.

I used a big handful and left it in the tank so it's easier to take out if I need. I'm debating if I need to buy an alkalinty test. My tap water is so high in ph that you'd almost think it's hard but not for sure. Anyway I'll keep my eye on it but I'm hoping the tank doesn't rise quite that high.

What's your tap water PH again? Generally most fish should adapt to your PH as long as it's stable, so it should be fine. Cycling can cause fluctuations but once the cycle is done the PH should stabilize unless your water doesn't have much buffering capacity. In that case you could just run a small amount of argonite in there permanently, we'll just see how things progress.

My tapwater is seriously basic. 8.4 I know having a stable ph is the most important thing but if I can have stable and neutral/slightly acidic I'll be even happier. I read up on all the tricks to help with that but like you said I'll see if I even need them.

Whatever was causing the ammonia is gone. I think I'm somewhere around step J on the (almost) complete guide to fishless cycling. In other words....OMG I have to open my bottle of ammonia and finally figure out how much to add myself!!!!

Awesome!! :D Here's a calculator: Calculator (on the bottom is says "Fishless Cycling - Ammonia Required). Or you can just add a few drops, wait 30 minutes, test, and add more if needed, etc.,, until you get to 4 on the API kit.

Thank you for the link :) I'm so excited, I might actually get done. I did a 50% water change to get the NO2 to 2.0 ppm. Should I still aim for 4.0 ammonia?

c_leed said:
Thank you for the link :) I'm so excited, I might actually get done. I did a 50% water change to get the NO2 to 2.0 ppm. Should I still aim for 4.0 ammonia?

I would. That bio-filter is already on it's way to being a beast...no reason to hold it back now :)

Awesome. I probably should have added before now but I was worried about another unexpected spike.

c_leed said:
Awesome. I probably should have added before now but I was worried about another unexpected spike.

You'll probably find the bottle is already open and your neighbor has been squeezing it into your tank at night, hahaha! :D

You'll probably find the bottle is already open and your neighbor has been squeezing it into your tank at night, hahaha! :D

Oh God I hope not. That guy is a freak. I did open the bottle and the eye dropper. Put in 3 ml for now which is half the amount librarygirl's calculator said just to check it.

Back
Top Bottom