Ammonia in tap water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

birdma

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm doing a fish in cycle, it's been a couple weeks now. Typically my ammonia has been anywhere between .25-.5 and nitrites are 0 and nitrates are at 5. Last night, for fun I decided to test my husbands pond and our tap water. Our tap water had .25 ammonia. So I'm wondering how this effects my cycle. Obviously water changes aren't going to bring my ammonia down to 0. But does that mean when my tank tests .25 it's actually 0? Or since I don't usually test right after a water change, should there be enough bacteria in my tank to handle the ammonia in my water & from the fish so I should keep going until it's testing 0 anyways. I'm confused!

.25 ammonia is not that much and your biofilter should be able to handle it quickly. If you use Seachem Prime as your dechlorinator, it transforms ammonia into ammonium which is much less toxic than ammonia. I have .25 ammonia and 1 ppm nitrites in my tap water. I use prime and my biofilter handles it quite well. If you're not using prime though, don't sweat it, it's not necessary as long as you are using some type of dechlorinator. (which I assume you are)

Yes I am using a dechlorinator. It's not prime but I plan on switching once I run out. So to make sure I'm understanding, the ammonia in my tap isn't that big a deal but I do need my ammonia readings to be 0 before considering my tank cycled?

Out if curiousity - Any idea as to why my husbands pond would have .25 ammonia as well? He's had it a year so should be cycled, no?

Eta - both nitrites and nitrates were 0, ph was the highest one on the high range test.

No idea what it usually is as this is the first time the water in it has been tested. It's his thing and I don't touch it, except last night when I got curious about his water parameters. He has a cavalier attitude towards it, kinda "only the strong survive" type deal.

Alright I'll start testing it regularly and if it seems like an issue I'll nudge him to do something about it.

Back
Top Bottom