Ammonia in tap water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LisaTuron

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I am new to the hobby and a bit confused. I started cycling my ten gallon fish tank with 2 small fancy goldfish. I know it's too small for goldies, will be moving them to a 55g tank. When I tested my tap water it reads 1.0 with the API master kit. When my tank cycles will the ammonia read 0 or stay at 1.0?

I am doing small water changes every other day, about 25%. I don't want it to go over 1.0 In fear it will hurt my fish. I used API water conditioner every time. any suggestions ?? Should I be doing something different?

Thank you

Ammonia in tap water makes cycling fish in a bit of a pain because you can't do water changes to really drop that level. While you are cycling the lowest your ammo will be is 1ppm until it progresses enough that it's converting your ammo.

By API water conditioner you mean PRIME right? PRIME is great because it will actually detox the ammo in your tap water for about 24-48 hours. So long as you are dosing with prime for water changes you should be ok through the process.

Eventually your cycle will progress enough that your ammo will convert and you will see nitrites. This is when you will start seeing your ammo hit zero. You'r tank will generally stay at 0 ammo once it's cycled but of course when you do your regular water change weekly you will have that ammo being introduced to your tank through water changes. Because you dose with PRIME it will detox that ammonia for your fish and by the time it wears off your ammo will have been converted already.

I hope this makes sense. I know there are a few on this board that have gone through cycles with an ammo source in their tap water and hopefully they can chime in too.

I strongly suggest switching to Prime or Amquel Plus- the Api conditioner will do nothing more than than dechlorinate your water. Both Prime & Amquel Plus will dechlorinate as well as help detox ammonia, nitrite & nitrate temporarily but Prime is more economical over the long run and helps with slimecoat as well. This will help right now and in the future because you are likely dealing with chloramine in your tap (source of ammonia). Once your tank is cycled, your good bacteria will process any ammonia from your tap water in a few hours. The issue you may have here is your tiny tank may not ever properly cycle with the overwhelming bioload of two goldfish.

You mention moving them to a 55g- do you have it already? Is there a reason your waiting to move them?

The reason I'm waiting is because I'm doing a fishless cycle in the 55 gallon. It's been a little over 2 weeks and ammonia steady at 4. I test it every other day and it's not going down. I guess I just have to be patient since I didnt have established media. I hope I have better luck with this cycle. I will switch to the water conditioner that u mentioned and just keep a watch on the ammonia level and see if the 10 gallon cycles. Thank you.

The reason I'm waiting is because I'm doing a fishless cycle in the 55 gallon. It's been a little over 2 weeks and ammonia steady at 4. I test it every other day and it's not going down. I guess I just have to be patient since I didnt have established media. I hope I have better luck with this cycle. I will switch to the water conditioner that u mentioned and just keep a watch on the ammonia level and see if the 10 gallon cycles. Thank you.

TBH, I'd opt to move the goldies to the 55 and cycle it that way. If they are small they won't have a huge bioload just yet so a fish in cycle there would be far easier than a fish in on a 10. Much more volume to disperse those toxins and would be much easier on the fish this way too. You'd also have to do less water changes this way. Again toxins will build slower in a 55 than a 10. To do fish in you'd just need to do a big water change and acclimate your fish to the new tank. You can even move your 10 gallon filter over to the 55 and combine any progress that would be made of both tanks. Once the cycle is done you have a fully cycled 10 gallon filter you can pop on your 10 gal tank when ever you want.

Ok, if you need further help, please just ask! If your in the US, you can try Angelsplus (Aquarium Sponge Filters) for cycled, active sponge filters to help your cycle. Some people have had success with Tetra safe start as well. Its also possible you may have very high levels of disinfectant in your tap water- it may be worthwhile to double dose your dechlorinator in your 55g. Many dechlorinators/conditioners recommend double dosing if its known that chloramine is present. Checking your municipalities water reports online or directly contacting your water supplier can help provide more exact information on the levels of the disinfectant thats being used so you are able to determine the appropriate amounts of water conditioner needed. Hope this helps! :)

Back
Top Bottom