Ammonia Levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lcars

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys I was just wondering if it is bad if my ammonia level is at .50. Thanks!

If you have fish in the tank, then yes, any ammonia is bad. A properly cycled tank should have no ammonia reading. How long has the tank been set up? How did you cycle the tank? Any new fish? How much/how often are you feeding? How often/how much are your water changes?

The tank has been up for about 5 months, I seeded the tank with gravel to cycle, I feed the tank 2 times a day (This morning I accidentally put too much in so I think that could have caused the spike), I added some new cherry barbs and corydora catfish today, and I do water changes about two times a week. I think I just already answered my question but I just did a water change and it is now at .25

Personally, I would not feed more than once a day and only as much as they can eat in a few minutes. You could split that into 2 feedings I suppose, but then feed 1/2 the total daily food in each feeding.

Also, the bio-load will drive your needed filter size. I see on your 'My Tanks' you have a 29 Angelfish community, is this the tank in question?

Back
Top Bottom