Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-19-2017, 08:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ammonia lowering, Nitrites still 0 in a fish in cycle?

I started my fish in cycle last Saturday and began dosing Seachem stability. I tested the water on Tuesday after a water change on Monday and ammonia was around 1.0-2.0PPM. Today I tested the water after a water change yesterday and ammonia is around 0.5-1PPM. However, my nitrites are still 0. Where is the ammonia going if my Nitrites are still 0?

Old 09-23-2017, 07:55 PM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Any plants or algae in tank?

Old 09-23-2017, 11:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Any plants or algae in tank?
None. It's now day 14 and I still have 0 Nitrites and Nitrates. I shook the bottles really hard and for a long time to make sure the reagents were well mixed.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

You said you used Stability, maybe from that.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
You said you used Stability, maybe from that.
It doesn't seem possible to me that the Stability kills bacteria, and I've been dosing it daily for the past two weeks so it can't be because the bacteria from the bottle died.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduguy View Post
I started my fish in cycle last Saturday and began dosing Seachem stability. I tested the water on Tuesday after a water change on Monday and ammonia was around 1.0-2.0PPM. Today I tested the water after a water change yesterday and ammonia is around 0.5-1PPM. However, my nitrites are still 0. Where is the ammonia going if my Nitrites are still 0?
Hello edu...

You don't need to put anything into the tank water other than the standard water treatment to remove chlorine and chloramines. You can add some floating plants like Hornwort to help steady the water chemistry between water changes.

You only need to feed the fish a little every day or two to maintain a steady source of ammonia. Test the water daily for ammonia and nitrite. Remove and replace 25 percent of the water if you have a positive test. Test daily and change the water when needed. When you have several daily tests with no trace of ammonia or nitrite the tank is cycled. The cycle takes about 30 days.

When the tank is cycled, change out most of the tank water every week to maintain good water conditions.

Pretty easy.

B
Old 09-24-2017, 04:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello edu...

You don't need to put anything into the tank water other than the standard water treatment to remove chlorine and chloramines. You can add some floating plants like Hornwort to help steady the water chemistry between water changes.

You only need to feed the fish a little every day or two to maintain a steady source of ammonia. Test the water daily for ammonia and nitrite. Remove and replace 25 percent of the water if you have a positive test. Test daily and change the water when needed. When you have several daily tests with no trace of ammonia or nitrite the tank is cycled. The cycle takes about 30 days.

When the tank is cycled, change out most of the tank water every week to maintain good water conditions.

Pretty easy.

B
I'm currently 14 days in and I still haven't seen any Nitrite? Is there something I'm doing wrong? I need to do 40% water changes every other day to keep ammonia below 1.0PPM
Old 09-25-2017, 01:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello again edu...

By removing more ammonia, the food source of the growing bacteria colony, you essentially starve the bacteria and delay the cycle. This is the reason you use a hardy fish species that will tolerate less than ideal water conditions until the tank cycles.

Get some individual stems of a floating plant and drop those into the tank to help steady the water chemistry between water changes. Test the water every day and remove and replace one-quarter if you have a positive test for either ammonia or nitrite. Be patient. This process won't happen overnight.

B
Old 09-25-2017, 04:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduguy View Post
I'm currently 14 days in and I still haven't seen any Nitrite? Is there something I'm doing wrong? I need to do 40% water changes every other day to keep ammonia below 1.0PPM
A typical cycle takes 4-6 weeks so not seeing nitrites after 2 is nothing to worry about. Also, with a fish-in cycle, you may never see a nitrite spike.

Have your nitrates started going up?

Lastly, 1ppm is a lot. I would try to keep ammonia lower than that.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
A typical cycle takes 4-6 weeks so not seeing nitrites after 2 is nothing to worry about. Also, with a fish-in cycle, you may never see a nitrite spike.

Have your nitrates started going up?

Lastly, 1ppm is a lot. I would try to keep ammonia lower than that.
Nitrates are 0 still.

Tags
ammonia, cycle, fish, fish in cycle, nitrite, nitrites

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com