Ammonia not going down!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dodo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I have a 20 gallon tall tank.

I've had it running for a little over one month now with some snails and one small goldfish. I also have anubias, hornwort, anacharis, and java moss in the tank. I have about ten stems of pothos hanging over the side as I heard the roots will suck up nitrAte. I didn't know about cycling until after I got them.

For three weeks I was doing daily water changes of about 40% to keep my ammonia down. I was also using the Python hose to get rid of debris on top of the sand. The tank has always remained at 0.50 ppm ammonia or below -- I have never let it get above that. However, at the same time, my tank was never showing nitrite and very, very small amounts of nitrAte. 24 hours ago I was given filter floss that was seeded with bacteria. I thought once I used this it might help speed it along and help get that ammonia down to 0.

However, 24 hours later, my tank is still showing 0.50 ppm Ammonia. There is a slight change in the NitrIte and NitrAte. The nitrite is now at 0.25 ppm (up from 0), and the nitrAte is at 10 ppm (up from 5.0).

Why hasn't the ammonia gone down? What should I do? :nono: :bawl: I want to make sure my goldfish stays healthy as do the snails. So far in one month my Rabbit snails have had 3 babies between them!

If you are seeing nitrite that is a good sign. Sounds like the seeded media you brought in is helping. Make sure you test before your water changes and not immediately after.

If you are seeing nitrite that is a good sign. Sounds like the seeded media you brought in is helping. Make sure you test before your water changes and not immediately after.

Thank you. I hope it is helping. At this point, should I do a water change currently or wait to see if the ammonia rises any more?

I would do a water change as soon as you feel like the ammonia is approaching an unsafe level.

Ammonia is constantly being excreted by the snails and goldfish. Because the tank isn't cycled yet there isn't enough beneficial bacteria to consume the ammonia being released constantly in the tank but because your nitrite and nitrate levels are going up we know your cycle is on it's way. Watch for a nitrite spike soon. Also your ammonia levels should start to decrease from this point on. Seachem prime is a water dechlorinator as well as detoxifies ammonia and nitrite. Also seachem stability might help speed things along but with the seeded media, the bacteria colonies should start to grow to adapt to the big load of your tank. I find waiting for nitrites to appear is the longest wait. I hope you everything works out

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the response!

This morning it looks like the ammonia is closer to 0.25 PPM. :)

Also there seems to be another rabbit snail baby in the tank!

Back
Top Bottom