Ammonia, O No Ammonia? That Is the Question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am not sure about the bubbles - doesn't sound good but you could post a quick thread titled ammonia or something and I bet you will get a better answer. Sorry you are having problems

I'd empty it, take a wet rag and wipe down the glass, and filler back up. Keep in mind, you aren't starting over. The bacteria is on the stuff and in the filter- not in the water- so just empty, wipe, and maybe do another change in a day (just to be safe). Surfactants aren't a joke when it comes to fish and their gills. Two full dillutions should be on the safe side and be ok.

It might slow you down a day or two in the overall scheme of things.

Ace Hardware carries the Ammonia that you want. I know alot of other places do too, but that is where I got mine. Just look for Ammonia with no scent, and no surfactants. When you shake it it will not foam. Then you know you got the right stuff.

I agree with doing a 100% water change to get rid of the ammonia you already put in there. If you cant find the Ace Hardware stuff you can also go with Blue Ribbon Clear Ammonia shake it and no bubbles. I've read on a few forums people have had luck with both of those. Also remember, BE PATIENT. I've made a few noob mistakes trying to get my fishless cycle going and basically had to restart about a week ago and im still not seeing a drop in ammonia levels. Get some seeded material as soon as possible and add any and all decor. What kind of test kit are you using?

Oh also, even though the tank looks so nice all decorated with the light on, keep the light off. I've read that with high ammonia, high temp, and light will contribute to a algae bloom. Im pretty sure thats what happened to me when i left the light on for 10-12 hours a day because it looked nice, then my water turned cloudy and green

Snowinak said:
Get some seeded material as soon as possible and add any and all decor. What kind of test kit are you using?

I don't know anyone with an aquarium. My father-in-law has one, but he cycled with fish. His ammonia levels are zero. I didn't test it all. Could I use his filter when needs to change it. He has fake plants, sand instead of gravel. I actually had put some of the sand in nylons. All it really did was cloud up my tank. Could I use any of that, if his tank is healthy?

If not, is it just going to take longer without seeding material?

I use the API test kit. It's the only one I've ever seen in stores.

If you can get your hands on a filter thats probably going to be your best bet just make sure you keep it in a bag or container with water so it doesnt dry out. Haha yeah sand can be very cloudy, when I first added mine it took 5 days to completely clear up. It will take longer without seeded material yes, simply because a used filter will already have the bacteria on it that you need so instead of waiting for it to come to your tank over time you can just drop those buggers right in and let them multiply

The initial drop in ammonia can take up to 2 weeks to happen, so a bit more patience is required I'm afraid. :) What type of ammonia are you using? I missed the part about the bubbles; does the ammonia you're using foam when you shake it? What does the ingredients list on the bottle say?

Is your temp raised and does the tank have some surface agitation from an air stone or the filter splashing water into the tank? Both of these can help the bacteria establish a bit faster.

Seeded media would help a lot. If you can't get some locally, Angels Plus sells active (seeded) sponge filters from their angel fish tanks that have helped many on here -- myself included -- cycle their tanks. If you get one be sure it says "active" next to it otherwise you're just buying a plain filter.

Back
Top Bottom