Ammonia still an issue :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SarahBear1009

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I don't know if anyone remembers my original post, but it was a while ago, and I'm still having ammonia issues.

Been doing water changes, adding prime, still feeding every other day, and my ammonia is still not budging. I have been adding stability only once or twice a week.

Fish all look healthy and fine, which I'm happy about, but I'm just puzzled why this ammonia hasn't gone down.

Ammonia: between .25 and .5
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5-10.

I have added quite a few live plants, hoping that those might be able to lessen the ammonia some, but my levels aren't budging.

No plants are rotting or causing this spike as I had this issue before I even added the plants. No dead fish either.

Since my original post about this, I have added a sponge on the intake tube to my HOB, but I know it'll take time for BB to colonize there.

My tap water checks out fine too. 0 for everything in my tap.

Any help would be great. Perhaps someone notices something I'm missing. I would really like to avoid starting all over, as I would have to re-home all my fish since I only have the one tank.

Thanks everyone.

What is ph?
My PH has remained the same at 7.6.

BUT! I went and bought a stand alone ammonia test kit as I really thought it was odd id still be having issues, and testing with the new kit I have no ammonia. :)

So, i bought a new master test kit, and retested yesterday. Now, I did have some slight ammonia, but there was a lot of poo on the sand and a few dead plant leaves. But my ammonia wasn't even
.25. Nitrite still 0 and 10 for nitrate.

The master test kit I was using was in storage in a garage for a year and half, as I was moving around a bit at that timex and didn't have a tank for awhile. I should have thought about that before using it again with this tank, but that never even crossed my mind.

So it sounds like it was my test kit.

Now, do I need to keep the test kit in the fridge??? I have them in there now thinking that might help.

I've heard of test kits going off in summer in north Australia but usually pretty hot days / caps left off (not very long either). My ammonia test kit must be over 3 or 4 years old now (must check expiry!). I don't know of any issues. Will have to test tap water and check (tap water here is 0). I have been using it recently and getting a slight reading but just put it down to a small tank suddenly stocked and could see it coming back down. My kit just sits in cupboard.

My old nitrate test kit was reading slightly high (maybe +10ppm compared to new test, would have to check) just before it ran out and I bought a new one to replace.

The nitrate one seems the most problematic as it needs to be shaken so much.

Nice finding! I've been discussing this elsewhere and while I agree these hobby test kits are what you pay for (ie not a lab test), generally I see them able to be used ok. Hoping your new test kit lasts longer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom