Ammonia stopped dropping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys. This isn't my first rodeo with fishless cycling (done it successfully about six times), but this is the first time I've done it in a long time. I think I'm experiencing a stall and I'm not quite sure why. Please see below:

(Tank is 83* F and water agitation from filter is steady)

6/11/2014: Dosed my 55 gal up to 4 ppm (8mL of Ace Ammonia)
6/17/2014: Ammonia had dropped to 1 ppm, dosed back up to 4 ppm
6/20/2014: Ammonia had dropped to 1 ppm, dosed back up to 4 ppm.
6/21/2014 to 6/23/2014: Ammonia remains a dark green 4 ppm, possibly higher
6/24/2014: Trace nitrItes begin to show, ammonia remains the same at 4 ppm
6/25/2014: Nitrites .75 to ~ 1 ppm, ammonia remains the same. pH is 7.2

I'm concerned that my ammonia has not dropped at all since last dosing it back to 4 ppm on 6/20/2014, especially because I was experiencing steady drops all of last week. During my first ever fishless cycle, my nitrites stalled for a good two weeks, but during that time, ammonia was always consistently dropping. Has anyone ever experienced this? I'm expecting my nitrites to skyrocket off the chart in the next few days. Also, I bet this is all normal and I'm being impatient, but it's been a while so I may need some refreshing.

Thanks!

What is your ph? Ph crashes can definitely stall a cycle. Water change will help if that's the issue.

Oh I see. Just curious though, why 4ppm? Even if you stock to the max right off the bat won't you still have a lot of BB die off as things balance out? Better safe than sorry I guess, but couldn't that die off also create an ammonia spike?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh I see. Just curious though, why 4ppm? Even if you stock to the max right off the bat won't you still have a lot of BB die off as things balance out? Better safe than sorry I guess, but couldn't that die off also create an ammonia spike?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't know, I've always done that until my nitrites began to drop (in which case I only dose to 1 ppm).

What kind of filter do you have and what's in the filter?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom