Ammoniac 9% solution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its the one Im looking for to start the cycle? It was offered to me at the hardware store as "pure amonnia"

:thanks:

The only one I've found that works is at Ace Hardware. Hardware stores may carry ammonia but make sure it doesn't have surfactants in it. Ammonia solutions don't always have ingredients list so an easy way to tell is to shake it. If it produces foam/bubbles/ anything it is not acceptable for your tank. It took me 5 stores to find one that didn't have surfactants in it.

If it does have surfactants in there and you've already dosed your tank you'll need to thoroughly clean your entire tank, gravel, plants, decorations, get new filter media, etc.

The only one I've found that works is at Ace Hardware. Hardware stores may carry ammonia but make sure it doesn't have surfactants in it. Ammonia solutions don't always have ingredients list so an easy way to tell is to shake it. If it produces foam/bubbles/ anything it is not acceptable for your tank. It took me 5 stores to find one that didn't have surfactants in it.

If it does have surfactants in there and you've already dosed your tank you'll need to thoroughly clean your entire tank, gravel, plants, decorations, get new filter media, etc.

Luckily I haven't dosed my tank yet. Thanks for the advise!

Years ago I found an appropriate type of ammonia at a Harris Teeter Grocery store. Under $2 for either a half or whole gallon. I think I only used 20-30 mL.
If you have concerns, do a Google Search on the product in question plus "MSDS". This document, if available, will provide a complete listing of all ingredients along with other info (health, safety, environment).

Years ago I found an appropriate type of ammonia at a Harris Teeter Grocery store. Under $2 for either a half or whole gallon. I think I only used 20-30 mL.
If you have concerns, do a Google Search on the product in question plus "MSDS". This document, if available, will provide a complete listing of all ingredients along with other info (health, safety, environment).

Im in Switzerland! add to my quest the language barrier, where I have to explain that im looking for pure ammonia in either french or German. Extra challenge haha!

Will check for the MSDS document, thanks a lot for the information!

Im in Switzerland! add to my quest the language barrier, where I have to explain that im looking for pure ammonia in either french or German. Extra challenge haha!

Will check for the MSDS document, thanks a lot for the information!

Good luck with your quest.
Switzerland [emoji1237]... love the cheese, chocolate, watches, and knives!

For future reference i have found this video showing what ammonia with surfactants looks like versus the "pure ammonia".

I got the right stuff apparently.

There is also a product number displayed on the case, that led me to a technical sheet of ingredients. I dont know if that is the case in the US, but here in Europe apparently all products should display that code.

In my case its a ammonia solution consisting of 9% ammonia and aqua.

Back
Top Bottom