Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-10-2015, 11:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Angel tank mates

I know the "best" tank mates for angels are other Angels. But, what other tank mates do "well" with them such as gouramis? I have a 55 that I am about to stock. Experience welcome! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 01-10-2015, 11:54 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Corydoras, GBR, and BR do really well most of the time. You are looking for fish that stay near then bottom with angels, or are big enough not to be eaten and fast enough not to be killed. However, I find angels are well tempered when raised with the others.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have two angels (m/f paired) with rainbowfish and dwarf gouramis (m/f). Everyone gets along (or ignore each other).
Old 01-10-2015, 05:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Get some rams. I have 1 bolivian who does great with the angels. I also like corys, rainbows, and if you like livebearers, they can do well also. If you want a schooling fish, I would go with black neons or rasboras since they are larger.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hatchetfish would look nice.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:34 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi fireman731:

Corys and brochis are a safe bet with angels. I've kept harlequin rasboras, platys, and swordtails with angels before in a 55g as well, and never had any problems, except that the angels ate the livebearer fry (which wasn't a problem given that I wasn't breeding!). A shoal of larger tetras (like congos) would probably be okay, too.

-Yorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman731 View Post
I know the "best" tank mates for angels are other Angels. But, what other tank mates do "well" with them such as gouramis? I have a 55 that I am about to stock. Experience welcome! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 01-11-2015, 10:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have my angels with a single female gourami, 4 platys, a single cory cat and a (retarded) rainbow fish (he is only abour 2" at several years old, cant swim the best, and I don't think he sees the best; something happened to him when he was still a baby)

In the past I've had several gouramis with angels, as well as mollies, swordtails, neon tetras/glowlight tetras, and plecos (not all at the same time).

I think there's a few others that make good tank mates, but I personally don't have any experience with them.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup, I have similar experience.
I've housed an angel with tetras, cories, rasboras, hatchets, rainbows, and swordtails.
I had one in my 55 with my two huge silver dollars and an enormous iridescent shark but I would in no way recommend anyone doing that. I rehomed the giant catfish and the scaredy cat silver dollars were way too big/rambunctious for the angel.
Generally speaking, they're fine with peaceful community fish that can't fit in their mouths and who won't nip their long fins, so if you do tetras make sure you research.

Tags
angel, ate, mate, tan, tank, tank mates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com