Angels in a 20?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't say it would be safe. There isn't enough room to allow each of them to have territory, especially if they pair off and decide to breed, you will have some problems. I've got a 40 and only two paired angels they love it. But not recommended for a 20. Hope this helps :)

I wouldn't say it would be safe. There isn't enough room to allow each of them to have territory, especially if they pair off and decide to breed, you will have some problems. I've got a 40 and only two paired angels they love it. But not recommended for a 20. Hope this helps :)

Thank you for responding.

Angels need a longer then wide aquarium. If its a 20 long you can keep a pair.

Angels need a longer then wide aquarium. If its a 20 long you can keep a pair.

I've always heard the opposite - that a tall tank is better for angels due to their fins being generally taller than they are wide, and that a 20 tall is ok but a 20 long isn't as good. I kept a very happy pair of angels in my 20 tall for a year or two before an ill-planned addition to their tank wiped out the whole tank with disease. Either way, tall or long, a 20 is the bare minimum for a pair.

Interesting I've always been told angels like a longer footprint be aide of how compressed they are. You can't fit more side by side is the logic. I have never kept angels in a tank smaller than a 29 standard so I don't know for sure how'd the do in a 20.

Long term plan

Since I would like to have Angels, my long term plan is that they will eventually go in the 36 with only a pair of BNPs.

Thank you!

I've always heard the opposite - that a tall tank is better for angels due to their fins being generally taller than they are wide, and that a 20 tall is ok but a 20 long isn't as good. I kept a very happy pair of angels in my 20 tall for a year or two before an ill-planned addition to their tank wiped out the whole tank with disease. Either way, tall or long, a 20 is the bare minimum for a pair.

I've heard a 20 tall is preferred for angels over a long for the same reason. I've read a lot about breeders using a 20 gallon for breeding purposes. The specific article, blog, podcast (I don't remember for sure) was specifically about housing breeding pairs in 20g tanks. They started with 5 or 6 young, and when a couple paired off, they removed the others and allowed them to do their thing.

That being said, this was a professional breeder and there wasn't anything else in the tank. I'm inclined to think its doable if that's all you put in there.

Back
Top Bottom