Another cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Engel

Aquarium Advice Activist
I freaked out about cycling when I read it on here after setting up and stocking my tank within 2 1/2 weeks, and started doing water changes immediately. I had those test strip things that did not test for ammonia, so I figured it couldn't hurt to do pwc till I knew where I stood. Since receiving my API master test kit, I have been consistently getting zeros (near enough zero ammonia to really look more zero than .25 in color) across the board. Never had an ammonia spike much less a spike in NO2 or NO3 since I began testing. Am I cycling??
The lfs sold me some of that bacteria jump start stuff, so maybe that is threw things off? Or did the job? Or I am just that good with the pwc's? :) I began treating for ich yesterday, but I was getting zeros before that. I did not do a pwc today, and as of tonight still no ammonia. :confused:
I have a 40g with six red minor tetras, 5 coydras, and four juvenile angels. Don't fuss at me! I am relocating the tetras, and two of the coydras as soon as our new tank cycles (the right way). So seriously I should have plenty of ammonia! I am using the API master test kit, and I know it's not faulty testing, because the test works fine on a tank at work, and my new one here reads ammonia at 4. I'm obsessed with this I swear. I wish it would just follow the rules!!

If you have fish in your tank (an ammonia source) then your tank is cycling. It is possible that whatever cycling aid you added to the tank is helping, but the thing that make me suspicious is your lack of nitrates. If your ammonia and nitrites are being processed, then you should be seeing nitrates. What product did you use? How often are you doing your PWCs?

I thought the same thing. No nitrates. Based on that, and the zero ammonia and nitrite... it's as if it's is a brand new fishless tank. There should be SOMETHING with a reading. The product is regular old Topfin "Bacteria Supplement". Could it be that it contains some other ammonia and NO2 eating bacteria? Does such a thing exist?

You still didn't say how often you are doing PWC or how much water.

How are you treating for ich?

Oh sorry. I was doing water changes daily (about 30%) up until yesterday. Based on zero everything I decided to leave them be, and finally got a solid .25 ammonia reading this evening. Only I still have zero NO2 and NO3.
To treat for ich I am using Jungle brand from WalMart "Ick Guard", and just following the directions on the bottle as far as removing the carbon filter, and dosing amount. I also raised the temp to 83.5.
Since getting .25 ammonia, I did another pwc. :confused: I really should have been seeing nitrites by now.... then again cycling with fish is much slower due to having to keep the ammonia down, right?
On top of all of this I noticed that two of my angels have bulging tummies all of the sudden. They were normal looking this morning. :( This is a HUGE mess, and I am feeling soooo bad that I caused it.

It will take a while to cycle the tank, even if everything is going well.

The ich medication may be killing off any beneficial bacteria that are trying to grow. I don't know enough about the medication to tell your if yours is a problem. Some people treat ich with heat and salt, no medication. It's a bacteria-safe option.

Don't feel too badly about the situation. Most new aquarists go through this due to ignorance. Live and learn.

Back
Top Bottom