Another Cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dharris

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have read many ways to start a tank. One of the new ways people are using to cycle tanks is to use decaying matter of some kind. When I started fish keeping long ago, we just used a few hardy fish and hoped for the best. I guess many people nowadays find this to be cruel.

Anyway, my cycling question is this, since using hardy fish to cycle a tank works,
What would you think o using some inexpensive goldfish feeders to cycle a tank. If the goldfish were to die, that may even work better at raising the ammonia levels.

I really would not recommend this. First of all, even though it's a feeder fish, it is cruel, and also some feeder fish could carry disease or parasites into your tank.

Fishless cycling is pretty easy to do and no fish are harmed by the high ammonia or nitrite levels as the cycle progresses. Bio-Spira, a bacterial additive by Marineland, is also a good way to cycle a tank. I've used Bio-Spira 4 times now to cycle a new tank, and while you have to monitor your levels for a few days, the cycle does happen as they say.

Here are some links:
Fishless cycling: http://malawicichlids.com/mw01017.htm
Bio-Spira: http://www.marineland.com/products/mllabs/ML_biospira.asp

I have to admit that I cycled my 28.5 gal tank with a goldie as well. I did this because I thought he would be happier in a cycling tank that gets water changes then to be in a bowl. Anyway, it will work perfectly. Although out of ethical considerations I would say go fishless cycle. I did my 18 gal fishless, works just as well, i just tossed in a tiny piece of steak (you read it correctly, yes, steak) from day one and after 3 weeks the tank was cycled! I think this is better then tossing a live fish in (I'm contradicting myself here....the goldie went to the lfs afterwards, got him as a gift in a bowl for my birthday....)

HTH!

Going off the fishless principle by using shrimp or other decaying
Goop. I went to my local fish shop to see if his tanks had any dead fish
Floating. He did, I asked if I could have them, and he looked at me somewhat weird.
I told him I was going to use them for a fishless cycling of a new tank. He still
Thought I was pulling his chain. I know this is not a total fishless cycle, but the LFS was going to throw out the fish anyway. I gave the dead fish a saltwater bath then a good rinse of freshwater. I now have three dead mollies floating in my tank. This should make the ammonia level go sky-high.

ammonium

You are not afraid of getting some disease in the tank? Why did those fish die?

You can get the ammonia level easily up with chemical like ammoniumchloride. 10 grams is enough for several tanks. I use that + fish food. Volatile salt (ammonium carbonate) will do, too. Even your own urine would do.

Good luck, anyway!

would any diseases live through however long it took to cycle without live fish? I guess if it was bacteria or something it would just live off of the carcass...???

would any diseases live through however long it took to cycle without live fish?

When going the fishless cycling way you don't have any diseases, because diseases need a live fish host.

I highly recommend you cycle without fish. So much easier, no deaths to worry about and no water changes. All you need to do is make sure you have food for your bacteria and monitor and test your water often.

Besides, it takes just as long to cycle with fish, as cycling without fish.

I guess if it was bacteria or something it would just live off of the carcass...???
Yes. Rotting animals don't always bring out the best organisms. Ones that would concern me most are those that can go dormant and do not need a live host for awhile.

I gave the fish saltwater baths then rised in fresh water. The fish died during the intorduction to the lfs tanks.
Should be fine. I hope anyway.

Menagerie said:
I also do not promote peeing in your tank.

Why would you not promote urine in the tank? I'm just curious. I've posted this question in a few different threads, but nobody replied. My thought is no one can give me a good scientific reason why it cannot be used. I think the reason people do not do it is because it sounds gross. But, urine is sterile (if you collect it right) and high in ammonia. Seems like good combination to me. I bet it would work.

Urea is not ammonia. Its formula is C0N2H4, and is made to convert ammonia (NH3) to a less toxic form. the individual atoms of urea come from carbon dioxide, water, aspartate and ammonia in a metabolic pathway known as the urea cycle. So, peeing into the tank is not going to directly supply the nitrosomas bacteria the required ammonia for them to develope. Fish don't make urea, since ammonia can be excreted directly into the water on a continuous basis. Here is a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea

Back
Top Bottom