(another) fishless cycling question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alshain

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, I've read several guides but there is some confusion and I can't find the answer to this question. The process I'm taking is using chemical ammonia, adding drops to get to 5ppm. The guides I've seen say add the same number of drops as you did to get to 5ppm. But, wouldn't that end up being too much? After all, I'm assuming I have 0ppm on the first day before adding (really I have about 1ppm in my tap) but on the second, I would still have close to 5ppm right? I wouldn't have enough bacteria to deal with it in one day (or it would be cycled) so wouldnt adding that much take you up to almost 10ppm? and then the third day, a little less than 15ppm? Eventually the bacteria would kick in and adding each day would be less and less total but how much is too much?

No, you don't add daily. You only add 1 time between 3-5ppm, then let it sit. Once the reading get's to 0ppm, then you just dose 1-2ppm everytime ammonia reaches 0ppm. When both ammonia and nitrite reach 0ppm in 24 hours or less, you are cycled.

If it makes you feel any better Alshain, I always had that same question when reading on how to fishless cycle - of course, I was blessed with 2.5 months of fishful cycling and then an instant cycle (prior media + biospira), so I didn't need the answer.

I am glad that someone asked, and someone (gj lwb!) gave a concise and easy to understand answer!

I have been doin the fishless cycle goin on the 3rd week or so. I added ammonia and got itup to 5 ppm then nitrites started goin up
i added more ammonia when ammonia got to 2.
Nitrite got to 5
so is stopped adding ammonia
ammonia is now at zero
and nitrites are hanging at 5 or just under 5. does it take a long time for that bacteria to grow or did i do somethign wrong.
My tank temp is around 84 to promote bacteria growth, shoudl i turn it down?

any help woudl be AMAZING

Once the reading get's to 0ppm, then you just dose 1-2ppm everytime ammonia reaches 0ppm. When both ammonia and nitrite reach 0ppm in 24 hours or less, you are cycled.

So what you want to do here is add a little more ammonia (2ppm) so those bacteria have something to munch on. When both ammonia and nitrite are at zero 24 hours after adding 2ppm ammonia, then you're good. Your temp can be lowered anytime before adding fish, just make sure it is stable when you do add them. Any ideas what you will be stocking yet?

Well my ammonia is at 0 and my nitrites are still at 5ppm. So wont adding more ammonia 2ppm make my nitrites stay up or go higher?

Yes i am goign to do 2 schools of tetras (not sure what kind) 3 or 4 corycats and a small plecco (in a 20 gal tank)

Tukie2kie said:
Well my ammonia is at 0 and my nitrites are still at 5ppm. So wont adding more ammonia 2ppm make my nitrites stay up or go higher?

Yes i am goign to do 2 schools of tetras (not sure what kind) 3 or 4 corycats and a small plecco (in a 20 gal tank)

You need to add Ammonia to keep those ammonia-munching bacteria alive. They are a seprarate colony from the NitrIte-eating bugs.

SirWired

Yes i realize that but wont that cause my nitrites to spike up again?

The answer is yes, the Nitrites will keep going up. You need to keep feeding the ammonia eating bacteria. Very soon your nitrites will start coming dowm. If you dont keep adding ammonia you will have to start over. If the Nitrites get over 6 I would do a water change to lower them, you will never have a fish load high enough to produce that much nitrite.

Also, if it makes you feel more comfortable, you can always do a PWC to bring the nitrites and nitrates down, and resume adding ammonia. As long as there is nitrite present, you won't stall the cycle any. Just remember to dechlor the new water, whether in a bucket or in the tank. Either way is fine.

I am really confused I guess. I thought that once ammonia reached 0 i should stop adding ammonia. When do I stop adding amonia then becuase I know you dont add amonia once fish are in the tank? can some one please explain start to finsihs (in geral as can be) how to do the fishless cycle.

Ammonia is at 0, nitrite is a 5, and nitrate is under 10

where am i and what whoudl i be doing and when shoudl i change that to somethign else?

Will nitrite go down even if i am adding ammonia? It just doesnt make ane sense to me at all

Yes you need to keep adding ammonia the bacteria will keep processing it. 2 ppm will be fine now. The nitrites are spiking they will drop very soon. You are well on your way. You need to keep feeding the bacteria colonies. Be patient you are getting very close.

You stop adding the ammonia when both ammonia and nitrite levels drop (not just the ammonia) to 0 within a 24 hour period. At that time, you are ready to add some fish, which will produce plenty of ammonia for your bacteria, which is of course why we need the bacteria in the first place. If you stop adding ammonia while the nitrite bacteria are still growing, the ammonia eating bacteria will die off and you'll find yourself having to redo the whole thing. Don't worry about the nitrites spiking as you continue to add ammonia, they're supposed to. If they get really high and you're concerned about it, as someone said, do a PWC, it won't hurt the cycle, but stopping the ammonia will.

Back
Top Bottom