Another newb interested...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petitemonk

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well I have always loved fish... And I have decided that I would like to have an Aquarium for my office, I am an architecture student and I think it would lively up my office a bit lol. But any ways I have been reading some posts and so far what I have learned is that you should buy the biggest tank you can afford to start out with. So I was wondering if a 20 gal tank will do the job. And also my limit is probly going be around 200 dollars for the starter setup... I am gonna run down to a local Aquarium store tomorrow. And I was wondering if you guys have any advice for someone who has never bought an aquarium to not get suckered in. Such as Is there any thing I need to look out for in a tank that hints to it being a faulty made tank? I do not want to buy a tank and find it leaking, would be such a bummer to find my fish all dead. : ) Or would I be better off with a smaller tank? Er I know I have more questions but I just cant think of them atm. Ill post if I can think of them.

Thx in advance. :D :D

suckered in
No offense to anyone here, but I think even the experienced people get suckered in... They see something they want, and just have to have it... Welcome to Aquarium Advice by the way...
Someone else might have some more info that you are looking for, and ask any question you can possibly think of...
Sure, the bigger the better, but I'm wondering about this office... Is it your own personal office, or does someone else own it? You may want to discuss it with them(if someone else owns it) and make sure that it's ok to have a fish tank and then see what size limitations they might have if one was even allowed... I hope that it will be ok as it will definitely liven things up in the office...

20 gallons is a great starter size. Its not too big that it costs a fortune, and its too small to keep under control. Try to avoid the "kits" that most fish stores sell. They may be cheaper, but they usually come with lesser-quality stuff. If you can, order off the internet. You'll save a ton of cash. You'll only need to buy the tank, hood, and gravel at the fish store. A 20 gallon with a good flourescent canopy should run you $40-60. You should phone around and see who has the lowest price. The filter, heater, and accesories are cheapest at bigalsonline.com.

I'll set you up a shopping list :)

Penguin 170 power filter - $20
Ebo-jager 100 watt heater - $13
(WOW, you americans are so lucky that heaters are so cheap for you. I just spent $40 on a visitherm 300w at big als)
5-6" net - $1
Floating thermometer - $2
Gravel cleaner - $10
Tetra master test kit (comes with ammonia, nitrite, pH, and gH/kH) - $13
Tetra nitrate kit (not mandatory, but very helpful) - $8
Kordon Amquel Dechlorinater - $6
Shipping - $8-10

Total - $83 + costs for tank, hood, gravel, decorations, and fish = $150-200
And you are getting good quality stuff unlike most "beginner kits"

Someone else could maybe point you too some articles on cycling and stuff.

Office... Unless you have a faucet nearby maybe you should go a little smaller...
I would go with one of those Eclipse 12. They are pretty cheap, comes with everything (well, mostly everything), it is portable (in case you need to change offices, or whatever, and the water changes will require less water at the time) and can go on the table top. And it shouldn't be much harder to maintain than a 20gal.

too late heh I bought a 30 gallon... nah the office is quite large, like around 10x10 actully maby even bigger. It fits perfect. It looks ausome, Loving it.

Does the office have a means to do water changes? By that I mean can you get a bucket under running water somewhere close?

Im glad you are doing some research on what tanks to get n stuff.. make sure you do five times as much research on what fish to put in it and how to cycle the tank. Because if you are on a budget you should do it right the first time to save you money in replacing dead fish (thats what happened to me)

Good luck! and welcome

Ya there is a tank about o say 8 feet away. I bought a 30 gal tank and I had no problem filling it up. thx alot for all of your guys's help. I think I made a wise choice. And it is looking really good where I have it. Its a perfect size for this room.

Back
Top Bottom