Another noob question: cycles and airation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klj_current

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am in the process of cycling a 55 gal (which is going to be a community tank). I'm using gravel from a previous established tank. I tested today, and my ammonia was at 0. My nitrites are very high (5.0) and nitrate is at 40 ppm. I know ammonia turns into nitrites and nitrites turn into nitrates, but what levels of nitrates are healthy and where am I in the process of cycling? When is it considered "safe" to start slowly adding fish?

Secondly, I have a 360 gph biowheel and two airstones in the tank. I know there can never be enough airation, but I somehow got the impression that with a biowheel, I don't necessarily need the extra airation unless overcrowding comes about. Is that right?

You are at the nitrite spike phase. It should start to drop soon. When the ammonia and nitrites are zero you will want to do a large water change to get nitrates down so you can add fish. generally under 20ppm nitrates is fine.

As far as aeration and flow goes. You don't need anything but the filter for aeration. the airstones are up to you if you like them. The powerhead would depend on the kind of fish you want to keep. Some fish love flow some don't.

Sounds like your dead in the middle of at least a mini-cycle. Good move w/ using the previous gravel. Once the nitrites go to 0 do a big water change to get the nitrates back in line and you are good to go.

Until then you have to keep feeding the tank or adding Ammonia so you don't kill the Ammonia eating bacteria that are creating the nitrites..

As far as the airstones go, personal preferance. Surface agitation is what gets the oxygen transfer happening.

Your cycled when Ammonia and Nitrite are zero (or very close) and nitrates continue to rise.

Just don't kill off those ammonia eating bateria before you finish. Feed em.. feed em

What else can I use to "feed" the good bacteria instead of using pure ammonia? Would letting some fish flakes decay on the bottom be a good idea?

Back
Top Bottom