another noob with ?s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjb0333

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am setting up a tank for the first time (38 gal) so far i have purchased an under gravel filter and beefed it up with 2 power heads (combined flow of 290 GPH) in addition to using the 2 heads that came with the set up. I was wondering if this set up will work for me.
After cycling my tank i wish to get some freshwater barracudas and possibly some cichlids. I understand that my tank will not be enough to support the cudas when they are full grown but i plan on expanding to the largest tank i can afford at the end of the summer as long as things are working out. I am looking for any advice on caring for the cudas as well as some advice on fish that would be compatible such as plecos, cichlids, possibly some crabs.

Hmmm...if you are a newbie and you are doing this as a sort of "trial run" I would suggest not buying fish you know will be too big necessitating a larger tank down the road.

How about instead, you find smaller fish you would enjoy nearly as much and if "things are working out" then you go get the larger tank that would actually support the fish you originally wanted (the gars).

thanks for the advice, any ideas on a similar fish to the gar that wont grow quite so large

Welcome to AA! There are a lot of fish out there but most fish that are similar to gars are large fish. I do agree with starting out with smaller fish and then getting the larger tank for the larger fish. Gar's will require a very large tank. Have you considered doing a fishless cycle. Here & here are articles on fishless cycling. here is some information on the nitrogen cycle.

I have purchased some cichlids on advice from the LFS but everything has gone to hell, i posted something in the unhealthy fish section. I am now concerned that if they survive will they grow fast and if so how much larger should the gars be when i get my larger tank, i have a very hardy convict that has become somewhat of a bully, and i wont get the gars if the convict is going to mess with them.

Back
Top Bottom