Another Stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxlindaxx05

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank is finally ready!!! Now I know the types of fish I want but I have a feeling its not going to work. Can anyone help me?

I have a 29 gallon freshwater planted tank. This is what I want to get:
5 or 6 tiger barbs
1 Beta
5 or 6 Cory cats
1 red tail or rainbow shark

The Beta and the sharks are the ones I’m nervous about. I don’t want them eating each other or the other fish. Do you think this could work? I was thinking I would settle the Tiger barbs first, then the Corys, then the Beta then the Shark. What do you think?
Thanks!
Linda

At 6 you should have enough Barbs so they focus more on each other and leave the Beta alone ... def keep an eye on that though. Those large fins on the Beta will be tempting for Tiger-Barbs.

Either a Rainbow or Redtail (what I have) is fine ... but not both ... at least in a 29 Gallon. They may be fine initially when they're young, but as they mature they will be very territorial towards each other.

Not sure about the Cory Cats with an RTS as I do not have them ... Generally ensure your tank has plants (as you said) and caves for an RTS to claim.

In terms of the Barbs ... are you looking at just straight TigerBarbs .. or a combo with an Albino Tiger Barb and or Green Tiger Barb?

The more I thought about it the more doubtful I am about having a beta in a tank with Barbs .. because of fin-nipping, which TigerBarbs are notorious for. See the link below if you haven't already, it should help.

Tropical Fish and Aquariums Compatibility by Name

I have various Barbs, a Blue Gourami and a Red-tail and all get along.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! That website was so helpful! I can't believe how many fish get along with betas! so new plan:

1 beta
4 or 5 clownloach
redtail or rainbow shark
5 or 6 swordtails

Clownloaches eat algea right?
My beta is is about 3years old already anyway so maybe I'll get the tiger barbs someother time.

Thank you again!!!
Linda

Wait a second... The shark needs a 55 gallon minimum... They get too territorial and can grow to 7 inches! The betta will get shredded with the barbs, so it's either or there. And no clown loach. They'll also get too big and need a 100 gallon tank to have 1. How about some khuli loaches instead?so how about this

6 cories
6 swordtails
5 khuli loaches

Geez... I sure do sound like a stickler there... I hate to rain on your parade, but it's better now then later. I'm sorry if I sound mean.

nice list of fish to have...

i have a 55 gallon about to switch ova to my new 150 and here is my list of fish in a 55 gallon: 4 oscars (white,tiger,common,red) from 5-10 inch
2 managuense cichlid, both are about 5-6 inches
1 pleco, 8 inches
1 bumble bee, 7 inches
2 jack dempsey, 1 is 4 inches other is 7-8 inches
3 convicts, from 3-5 inches
2 green terra, both are 4-5 inches
1 red belly pacu, 8 inches
1 parrot fish, about 2-3 inches (the other one must of got ate by one of the bigger fish)
1 red zebra, 6 inches
1 Blue johanni cichlid

alot of people say they dont get along blah blah but all of my fish are fine and dont fight or noting, i have 2 caves and thats it and they all doing just fine been had all of them for about 4-5 months now

so when it comes to picking what fish to keep i always almost never worry about what kind of fish im putting in there i just make sure they are all near the same size to be on the safe side or have an extra fish tank just in case...

No offense, but that tank is way overstocked... Glad they're moving to the 150. Also, the fish are likely immature, and once the reach maturity, you'll have some serious problems.

4 oscars and 2 dempseys in a 55? I'm surprised they haven't killed each other no offense. People suggest 2 oscars in like a 75+ tank. I don't believe you'll be able to keep the bunch successfully even in a 150. Im sorry to say you'll have to rehome some of the fish even if you upgrade.

Homedog98 said:
Wait a second... The shark needs a 55 gallon minimum... They get too territorial and can grow to 7 inches! The betta will get shredded with the barbs, so it's either or there. And no clown loach. They'll also get too big and need a 100 gallon tank to have 1. How about some khuli loaches instead?so how about this

6 cories
6 swordtails
5 khuli loaches

I also fully agree. I personally prefer nice, peaceful community tanks, but I understand the desire for housing semi-aggressive species. I've had tiger barbs in the past that were relentless at fin nipping (and they were in a group of 6) and I've heard horror stories about Betas if they're not very carefully matched with tank mates. I think in a larger tank some minor incompatibilities can be overcome, but without ample room for territory it's asking for trouble IMO. Homedog definitely knows her stuff when it comes to species compatibility...she's the one I turn to when I need advice :)

Ok my beta is kinda old, but for some reason I feel bad starting a bigger tank and leaving him in his small one. Can u give some good stocking ideas with him included? He does seem ok in his little tank but I feel guilty.

Ok, so how about 6 cories, 6 neon tetra, 6 rummynose tetra, one Bolivian ram, your betta, and a bristlenose pleco?

If your heart is set on the Tiger Barbs (and they ARE great fish!) then you definitely need to leave the Betta out of the mix. I've kept Tiger Barbs successfully with Blue Gouramis (they are tough enough to defend themselves) and some of the smaller loaches like Yo-Yo loaches (which are also pretty tough). Try a school of 6-8 Tiger Barbs, a trio (1 male/2 female) of Blue (or the Opaline variety) Gouramis and a couple of Yo-Yo loaches and I think you'll have an aquarium that you'll enjoy.

As for your Betta...I don't think its feelings will be hurt if it stays in its current aquarium. If you don't want him to be 'lonely' then you might consider some small tetras like Neons or Cardinals as tank-mates. Oh...Clown Loaches do NOT eat much algae under most circumstances. If you want a good, small algae eater...see if you can find some Otocinclus cats (but be aware that they will starve if they don't have algae to nibble on).

4 oscars and 2 dempseys in a 55? I'm surprised they haven't killed each other no offense. People suggest 2 oscars in like a 75+ tank. I don't believe you'll be able to keep the bunch successfully even in a 150. Im sorry to say you'll have to rehome some of the fish even if you upgrade.

they don't fight at all, and if they was to fight which they dont i have 3 tanks
my new 150 now, my 55 and a 30 gallon, my 10 gallon has a fighting fish by himself and i use it also to keep live feeders in there. so if they was to fight i can also we home them but so far so good...(y)

If your heart is set on the Tiger Barbs (and they ARE great fish!) then you definitely need to leave the Betta out of the mix. I've kept Tiger Barbs successfully with Blue Gouramis (they are tough enough to defend themselves) and some of the smaller loaches like Yo-Yo loaches (which are also pretty tough). Try a school of 6-8 Tiger Barbs, a trio (1 male/2 female) of Blue (or the Opaline variety) Gouramis and a couple of Yo-Yo loaches and I think you'll have an aquarium that you'll enjoy.

I agree, I love my Barbs, and there are so many variety.

However, a substitute for Tiger-Barbs are the Black-Ruby (my fav). They look a bit like Tiger-Barbs, but look up the males, during breeding their heads turn reddish while the rest of the body nearly jet black .. just gorgeous IMO. And they are less prone to fin-nipping than Tiger-Barbs so again a good substitute for Tiger-Barbs. They still may not be compatible with your beta however.

With that said ... it is amazing how many types of Barbs there are, so a nearly Barb-only tank can have amazing color, size and shape (high back vs streamline) ... IMHO. A they do go fine with Blue Gourami and either a Rainbow or Redtail Shark.

The stock mix that I recommended will do very nicely in a 29-gallon tank. The black ruby barbs would be a good substitute for tiger barbs but they're often more expensive and I've found that they're not quite as active. You could also try cherry barbs but they don't school quite as much as either of the above mentioned.

-Joe

The stock mix that I recommended will do very nicely in a 29-gallon tank. The black ruby barbs would be a good substitute for tiger barbs but they're often more expensive and I've found that they're not quite as active. You could also try cherry barbs but they don't school quite as much as either of the above mentioned.

-Joe

Fruitbat does have a point about Black-Ruby Barbs being a bit more expensive and not as active than Tiger-Barbs (though mine seem active enough) ... but the coloration of the males makes it so worth it.

Back
Top Bottom