Another stocking thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rce4px

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I recently bout an Aqueon 15 gallon column. I got a great deal on CL--I wouldn't have bought it otherwise. It was $30 and barely used. I know my stocking options are limited (the reason I wouldn't have bought a one new. So my question is, what are some ideas for stocking it? I already have a Betta in my planted 10 gal, so no bettas. I will probably do a couple of low light plants--ferns or anibias since the included light sucks and its so deep. Thanks in advance.

Dwarf shrimp, Cherry if you don't have experience with them. Awesome Driftwood center piece and Java Moss and tons of plants. Select choices of fish. Super good filtration. :) Sand or Eco-Complete.

I had actually thought of puffers. I've done a little research on them. I know they can be aggressive. Is there anything else I could put with them?

Not really. Some people have success with otos but dps are generally extremely territorial. Super interesting fish though with tons of personality.

No, you'd have to leave the puffers by themselves but it might make an interesting tank anyway. Column tanks are hard to stock; I actually bought one myself b/c it was on sale and the price was so cheap I went for it but I took it home, set it up, hated it and returned it lol

You could probably do some nano fish: 6-8 a school of celestial pearl danio or chili rasbora with a couple of scarlet badis (or 1 dwarf gourami) and maybe some otos or a couple of platy or guppies (for the livebearers I wouldn't get more than two as they have a heavy bioload and I'd get two of the same gender if possible).

Last edited:
So I'm pretty set on dwarf puffers. However, my LFS guy mentioned a pair of Blue Rams or Apistogrammas. Both would look really nice. I may consider those.

Both the rams and apistos would be much better in a long tank rather than a tall. I wouldn't get them. I think the puffers would be pretty sweet. Something unique for sure.

So I'm pretty set on dwarf puffers. However, my LFS guy mentioned a pair of Blue Rams or Apistogrammas. Both would look really nice. I may consider those.

I would stick to the dwarf puffers. GBR need a 20g tank and apsitogrammas need a long tank as well. It wouldn't work out I don't think.

I had done some research and had decided neither would be ideal for my column, but the only reason I had considered them again was because my LFS suggested them. The whole team is typically very knowledgeable. Their set-ups in the store are immaculate and I believe two of the dudes have won some competition builds. Oh we'll, DPs it is. I'm thinking 3?

I had done some research and had decided neither would be ideal for my column, but the only reason I had considered them again was because my LFS suggested them. The whole team is typically very knowledgeable. Their set-ups in the store are immaculate and I believe two of the dudes have won some competition builds. Oh we'll, DPs it is. I'm thinking 3?

3 is a good number. Try to get one male and two females.

You will love the personality of the puffers too. They are great to watch.

Wow- you think badis are aggressive- their scarlet counterparts are like their evil twin!!:blink::huh:

My Scarlet Badis are mini hunters. They are territorial with each other, but never bother my other fish or adult Shrimp. I've had up to 3 Scarlet Badis in a heavily planted 10g. I currently have a pair in my Shrimp tank. With other fish.

Bettas are much more likely to be aggressive depending on the individual fish.

I was just joking with charlie

My Scarlet Badis are mini hunters. They are territorial with each other, but never bother my other fish or adult Shrimp. I've had up to 3 Scarlet Badis in a heavily planted 10g. I currently have a pair in my Shrimp tank. With other fish.

Bettas are much more likely to be aggressive depending on the individual fish.

Lol, I do realize that- it was just a little joke, it's not important but if you want to know the meaning behind it you can look at our back and forth babble about badis badis earlier you can find it if you look up our stocking dissuasion earlier.
:hide: I REALLY am sorry if I offended anyone!
:flowers::flowers::flowers:

Lol, I do realize that- it was just a little joke, it's not important but if you want to know the meaning behind it you can look at our back and forth babble about badis badis earlier you can find it if you look up our stocking dissuasion earlier.
:hide: I REALLY am sorry if I offended anyone!
:flowers::flowers::flowers:

Not offended, just confused. Wish Scarlet Badis and Badis badis weren't such close names. Darn common names.

Just trying to make sure info on SBs is accurate.
Didn't catch the joke. No harm

I just got the stand built. I didn't want to spend any money making it. I used scrap material I had in the garage to build it. I used 2x4s to frame it, then skinned it with 1/2" OSBORNE. I then routed the corners to make it look a little nicer. I used screws with finish washers to put the OSB on. Last, I shellacked it with 2 coats. It has kind of an industrial/ modern look to it. I will begin cycling it tomorrow.

image-1373489707.jpg

Back
Top Bottom