Another tank cycle post!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DiscusThis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok so I have a 75 gallon tank started. Temp is at 82.4, PH 6.8, ammonia 1.0 ppm, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrates. There are 5 blue flame tetras and 3 loaches. I have been using Amquel plus to neutralize the ammonia. There are 10 live plants in the tank. Is this ammonia reading normal for week 2? I know I shouldn't have gotten fish but hey I read you can cycle with fish in. I used API quick start when I set up and added in some API aquarium salt for stress. I have not done a water change yet. I just want to make sure I am rolling still with this cycle. Any constructive advice?

If you haven't seen it yet, there's a good sticky here on fish-in cycling:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

Touching on your specific situation, and there are others with more cycling experience and knowledge than yours truly, you want to get your ammonia down. 1 ppm is high, especially for sensitive fish like tetras. I'd do a 50% water change as soon as I could, perhaps followed by another the following day. I'd try to do partial changes as needed to keep ammonia below 0.5 ppm, but 0.25 ppm would be even better.

The Amquel isn't a bad idea, but my understanding is that it's a temporary fix -- and much of the same benefit can be had by doing water changes to get ammonia down.

As far as aquarium salt goes, it's my understanding that it can be of significant benefit during the nitrite spike phase of the cycle (reducing the toxicity of nitrites on the gills), but never heard of it as a remedy for high ammonia levels.

Again, there are a lot of people with more experience than I have, so if you want to wait for one of them to weigh in, please do so, but that's how I'd proceed.

Good luck!

So I guess I'm just curious if my tank parameters are on par for week 2. Should my levels be higher for week 2? Should there be aeration to help. Just wanna make sure that the cycle is indeed cycling.

So I guess I'm just curious if my tank parameters are on par for week 2. Should my levels be higher for week 2? Should there be aeration to help. Just wanna make sure that the cycle is indeed cycling.

According to most of the aquarium cycling timelines I've seen, ammonia typicially hits its spike at somewhere around the 10 day mark (give or take), then starts to come down. If it's on it's way down, your tank is starting to cycle (it doesn't disappear on its own, would be great if it did though!). Often, ammonia will begin to drop before one gets a measurable nitrite reading. At the two week mark, you should start to pick-up nitrite readings soon. Be patient, and keep an eye out for the presence of nitrites and then you'll know for sure.

Best!

RussellC said:
According to most of the aquarium cycling timelines I've seen, ammonia typicially hits its spike at somewhere around the 10 day mark (give or take), then starts to come down. If it's on it's way down, your tank is starting to cycle (it doesn't disappear on its own, would be great if it did though!). Often, ammonia will begin to drop before one gets a measurable nitrite reading. At the two week mark, you should start to pick-up nitrite readings soon. Be patient, and keep an eye out for the presence of nitrites and then you'll know for sure.

Best!

Does running carbon in my filter affect the cycle. I have done 2 50% water changes in 2 days and I'm doing my third now. No sight of nitrites still ammonia creeping up everyday. Water bill gonna be high this month hahaha

Does running carbon in my filter affect the cycle. I have done 2 50% water changes in 2 days and I'm doing my third now. No sight of nitrites still ammonia creeping up everyday. Water bill gonna be high this month hahaha

No, running carbon in your filter doesn't affect the cycle one way or the other. If you plan to remove/swap the carbon at some point, though, I would wait until the cycle is well established. The nitrifying bacteria will colonize just about any and every surface in the tank and filter that stays wet, including the carbon bag/cartridge, so replacing could theoretically set back your cycling a bit.

I know what you mean about the water bill, but it sounds to me like you're on the right track. Cycling requires patience, so hang in there!

Back
Top Bottom