Any good medium sized community fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brox

Aquarium Advice Freak
Up to 6" that won't eat/kill neon tetras guppies danios Otos ect. I want some gouramis and rams and rainbows, some hatchets would be cool too. But they can't eat the mentioned fish or hurt em. Give ideas please! 4-6 inch preferred! I would also like but not a must if they can live with bigger shrimp (amanos,maybe RCS) but its ok if not.

Pearl gourami or denison barb. You have to watch both of them with shrimp though . Dens ion barbs are one of the only barbs which don't need a school.

Congo Tetras are great active swimmers. They need a large, long tzank to be happy., They also tend to feed on the surface (they like flightless fruitfies).

Samzter said:
Dension barbs are one of the only barbs which don't need a school.

My denisonii barbs school and I have heard they usually become aggressive and/or territorial when kept alone or in very low numbers.

With out tank size it's hard to recommend but off the top I would suggest Swordtails - they are around 4 inches. Or an Opaline Gourami.

Shane87 said:
My denisonii barbs school and I have heard they usually become aggressive and/or territorial when kept alone or in very low numbers.

No these are very passive barbs. They defiantly don't need a school.

Can I get angelfish or will they become aggresive?

+1 with Denison Barbs ... very peaceful fish and one of the few barbs that can be kept single in a community tank. Personally, a small school of three gives you the best of both worlds. Still a small school, but they'll exhibit more of an active schooling behavior.
Mine don't bother my Amano's at all ... with shrimp ... if it's smaller than an inch, it's fair game ... and inch or larger and your good.

tamtam said:
With out tank size it's hard to recommend but off the top I would suggest Swordtails - they are around 4 inches. Or an Opaline Gourami.

Does the opal one get aggressive and can it eat neon tetras? Read it got to 6"

A pair of angelfish would live fine in a 40 gallon...but they may snack on your neons. We have cardinals and they don't bother them at all.

Samzter said:
Pearl gourami or denison barb. You have to watch both of them with shrimp though . Dens ion barbs are one of the only barbs which don't need a school.

+1 on the pearl, I have one & he's very peaceful & a stunning fish, he never ate any of my shrimp when I had them but every fish is unique :)

Does the opal one get aggressive and can it eat neon tetras? Read it got to 6"

I don't think they are an issue with neons. I've seen several cases where they've been kept with them fine. They are usually pretty great community member but will get aggressive with other male gourami. Just be sure you have lots of plant cover/hiding spots in the tank. Cover will make them feel more secure and a stressed out fish can display all kinds of poor behaviour.

As for the angel it is hit or miss with the neons. It would be fine with everything else. I would suggest that you get the angel as small/young as possible. Many times I've read that people have had success when paring a small angel with neons. Growing up with them can cause them to just sort of forget about the idea of eating them. It's hit or miss though as each fish has it's own personality.

tamtam said:
I don't think they are an issue with neons. I've seen several cases where they've been kept with them fine. They are usually pretty great community member but will get aggressive with other male gourami. Just be sure you have lots of plant cover/hiding spots in the tank. Cover will make them feel more secure and a stressed out fish can display all kinds of poor behaviour.

As for the angel it is hit or miss with the neons. It would be fine with everything else. I would suggest that you get the angel as small/young as possible. Many times I've read that people have had success when paring a small angel with neons. Growing up with them can cause them to just sort of forget about the idea of eating them. It's hit or miss though as each fish has it's own personality.

All right thanks! I'll get 2 rams 1 gourami and 1-2 angels (both female) maybe some more smaller fish probably not.

All right thanks! I'll get 2 rams 1 gourami and 1-2 angels (both female) maybe some more smaller fish probably not.

no prob! Do a bit of research on the type of gourami you get. Some can be a bit pig headed and may pick at the angels fins. I currently have an angel and a honey gourami together and it's working out great. Honeys are more timid usually.

tamtam said:
no prob! Do a bit of research on the type of gourami you get. Some can be a bit pig headed and may pick at the angels fins. I currently have an angel and a honey gourami together and it's working out great. Honeys are more timid usually.

Yeah thanks! Right now it's between honey (I like em but they are small) dwarf,pearl, and opaline. I'll look into angels more as I don't want them to kill my neons or look awkward. I might get a diff fish.

Back
Top Bottom