Any way to avoid the cycling thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freezekougra

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was thinking of getting a 20 or 40 gallon tank with any kinds of cheap and hardy tropical fish I could find. I currently have a 10 gallon tank that I started with feeder fish(comets) and tap water a few hours after I bought it, and a few of them are still alive(rest died from ich I think). I've never had anything other than goldfish because I didn't want to pay for a heater, but I'm guessing tropical fish die more easily than goldfish do :(

Is there any way to avoid the 5-6 week wait(according to http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html) by buying more hardy tropical fish?

no, if you want a proper tank without fish dropping dead. there is no real way around it

-Brad

Well, if you were willing to do pretty frequent water changes, you'd fare better and lose less fish, but fishless is the best way to go.

Also I'm hoping you have well water, because chlorinated water+fish = bad

Aww I guess I'll stick with my 10 gallon...I'm too impatient to wait ^^

Thanks for the fast replies everyone :)

YES there is a way.
Not to avoid the cycle but to speed it up dramatically.
Seed the tank with a well used filer from your existing tank and a hand full of gravel as well. This along with reseeding when you start showing nitrite can get your tank cycled in as little as a week. Note you will need an amonia source either from a jug or fish if you would rather not do a fishless cycle.
Another good seed option is Bio-Spira if you can find it localy. It is a bit pricey but works real well.

YES there is a way.
Not to avoid the cycle but to speed it up dramatically.
Seed the tank with a well used filer from your existing tank and a hand full of gravel as well. This along with reseeding when you start showing nitrite can get your tank cycled in as little as a week. Note you will need an amonia source either from a jug or fish if you would rather not do a fishless cycle.
Another good seed option is Bio-Spira if you can find it localy. It is a bit pricey but works real well.

A few questions :D
1.I have a box filter, that's been in my tank for 2-3 months, would that work?
2.Do I need some kind of testers for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate or could I just wait a little bit over a week and hope the levels are adjusted(without actually testing the water myself)?
3.What's seeding?

1. what you want is some of the filter media from inside the filter. The dirty, slimy looking stuff.
2.Yes. I recommend the API freshwater master test kit, more acurate than the test strips.
3. Bacteria is what converts amonia to nitrite then to nitrate in your tank making it safe for your fish. Seeding is adding live bacteria (like used filter media from an established tank) to a new tank to "jump start" the cycle on the new tank.
PS: not only is it important to test the water regularly to keep levels within reason when cycling but it is also important to catch any problems ealy before your fish become ill or die.
Just because water looks clean does not mean it is.

Tropical fish are not more fragile than goldies. a heater may run you about $10 so if you want to move on to tropicals, it'll only cost an additional $10 to $15. You can go fishless, with seeded bacteria from the established tank, or purchase Bio Spira. Near instant cycle in a bottle.

I'd imagine that seeding and cycling would go more slowly without having a heater. In fact, most folks who experience fast cycles are running temps in the low 80's to keep the bacteria poppin'

Hmm I guess I'll have to buy a new heater :(

Btw, what exactly is the "bio spira" thing? Is it a general name for something that speeds up the cycling of my aquarium or is it a certain brand :D

Bio Spira is a product made by Marineland. Call around before going to the lfs to make sure they have it in stock. It must be kept cold too so immediately go home and add to the tank (or put in fridge) after purchase. You need to add the fish the same time that you add the Bio Spira too.

Secret about Bio-Spira.
Add 1/2 at the beginning and save the other half in your fridge. Add the second half when you start getting nitrite.
The reason:
Bacteria need a food source to survive. there are 2 different bacteria involved in your tank. 1 that feeds on amonia and 1 that feeds on nitrite.
The one that feeds on nitrite can mostly die off before enough nitrite is produced by the 1st bacteria that feeds on amonia to sustain it.

The near instant cycle is just that it jumps starts the cycle... The cycle will not be quicker or shorter. The length of time it takes to complete your cycle is the amount of nitrifiers in the tank and how rapidly they are able to catch up to the ammonia and nitrite being produced. The Bio Spira is good it will help jump start the cycle but so will a raw uncooked shrimp. You can fill your belly this way too! 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 10-whatever nitrates. Keep your nitrates lower by doing water changes. Good luck!

Fishyfinatic... Im just curious are you promoting the cycle WITH FISH... If so this practice is not exactly the common practice of todays aquarium cycling methods. I may have missed something along the way. If so I am sorry and in either way I am not accusing you of anything because my first fw tank I cycled with fish because I didnt know any other way. If Bio Spira is a bacteria supplement that speeds the cycle in other words then I would say no fish and add some flake food or a raw shrimp or two in a baggie with holes in it. This will start your cycle and you could add the bio spira to enhance the process.

The near instant cycle is just that it jumps starts the cycle... The cycle will not be quicker or shorter. The length of time it takes to complete your cycle is the amount of nitrifiers in the tank and how rapidly they are able to catch up to the ammonia and nitrite being produced. The Bio Spira is good it will help jump start the cycle but so will a raw uncooked shrimp. You can fill your belly this way too! 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 10-whatever nitrates. Keep your nitrates lower by doing water changes. Good luck!
OK, how exactly does adding a raw shrimp jump start the cycle as well as adding actual live nitrofying bacteria? I am not aware that raw shrimp contain concentrated amounts of live nitrofying bacteria.
Adding live bacteria does make the cycle shorter than not adding bacteria. Period.

In a sense you are cycling with fish. Not in the common sense though. You add the Bio Spira at the same time as the fish. The Bio Spira is live bacteria. It needs an ammonia source to keep it alive once it is added to the tank. I have used it a few times in the past and never had Ammonia or Nitrite spikes or high readings. It cycles in a matter of days.

Raw Shrimp decomposes and becomes an ammonia source for the bacteria. I am not a fan of the raw shrimp as it smells and is quite messy.

Back
Top Bottom