Anyone else have problems with nitrite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When nitrites get that high you need to do a WC in order to bring them down into a more readable range or you can have issues with your cycle stalling. With that many nitrates you are getting close to the end.

Last water change was last night. I haven't had time today, I will be doing one within the next few hrs and hopefully another a few hrs after that. Nitrates have been pretty high for a while the nitrites just keep resisting to drop

I suggest maintaining a small amount of salt in the tank, it combats nitrite toxicity which will keep the fish safe, and it only takes a tiny little bit. It's not enough to hurt the fish or plants by far. In a small tank I'd probably just put a pinch in there, as there is likely some present in the tap water to begin with.

Your mystery plant, was it a bulb originally? If not then it looks like vallisneria nana, but it could be some sort of water onion.

I suggest maintaining a small amount of salt in the tank, it combats nitrite toxicity which will keep the fish safe, and it only takes a tiny little bit. It's not enough to hurt the fish or plants by far. In a small tank I'd probably just put a pinch in there, as there is likely some present in the tap water to begin with.

1/15th tsp per 10g to counteract 1ppm nitrite is what I remember. At this level it's also safe for plants. Just be sure to use aquarium salt.

Also test your tap water to see if there are nitrites present and if so how much there is in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will have to get aquarium salt then, I just got my liquid testers today so it will have to be another trip within the next day or so. My tap does not contain nitrates or nitrites it does have a bit of ammonia if I remember correctly it had about 2 ppm?

Most of the plants did come from bulbs. The tall skinny one did, the one with round leaves that go all the way up to the water as well as with arrow type leaves that stay around mid tank, the taller one to next to the moss ball did as well. In total I have about 6 bulbs in the aquarium. I did purchase some java, anubius, and one other I don't recall. (I can't give any specifics, I saw the names in front if me I could probably pick them out) names are not my strong point.

I will test the salt once I get it. Should I add it directly to the tank dissolved? Or do I put it in the dechlorinated tap I use to clean the tank? If I do just dissolve it how much water should I use to dissolve it in?

River I have a question about the cycle then. I will do 2 water changes a day usually but the nitrites will not lower below anything than a 2-3. Do I do 3 or more water changes? One and hr or so to drop it until it lowers or keep just doing 2 wc? You don't believe it is stalled since nitrates are rising?

Okay you just said something.... if you have 2ppm of ammonia in tap water and are doing a lot of water changes the reason your having nitrites the way you are is because your adding a lot of ammonia on a daily basis. You do a WC to bring nitrites down but then are just adding in fresh ammonia to cycling into nitrites again. Soooo, since you have fish and can't quite do the keep ammonia and nitrites down to .25ppm you are going to have to go at this differently. Use the salt, pre-dissolved in a cup of declorinated or tank water, in the amount I listed. Then don't do a WC. Let the salt do it's job. Then let the ammonia get processed. Then I hate to ask but is there anyway you can get and use RO water? That would help by adding less ammonia every water change so it's not constantly providing so much food to keep nitrites going. Usually after a tank is cycled and the person has ammonia in tap it can be easier to do 2 smaller WC's weekly so the tank can process the ammonia faster but also not have to process so much at a time to produce a lot of nitrites. Eventually the tank BB can catch up so your not seeing much if any of either. So I'd honestly pick 2 days for say a 20-25% max WC, use the salt in the amount for the water change amount not for the total tank amount like you should do the first time and see if your tank finishes cycling with these strange readings. Then once cycled use the salt and prime to help with ammonia and your fish should do fine. I hope this wasn't too confusing.

The last bit was confusing for the salt if you could help me understand that better. But that makes complete sense about the ammonia! You helped me solve a problem. I could get ro water but have to order it online. So right now I should just get the salt and do not do a water change. Ahhh that makes me happy

I have a question about RO though! I was told if have to add minerals and what not to get the levels in the water I want is this true? Or is ro water ready to use. I just recently was informed about ro and have no experience with it

I have a question about RO though! I was told if have to add minerals and what not to get the levels in the water I want is this true? Or is ro water ready to use. I just recently was informed about ro and have no experience with it

If you use straight RO water in a tank then it has to be reconstituted. Most people, including myself cuts our tap water with some RO then it doesn't need to be reconstituted.

I wouldn't order RO on line as you'd go nuts. If your in the states this is the portable unit I use... portable countertop reverse osmosis drinking water system - remove fluoride, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, prescription drugs and more. I have the Pro-100 unit.

In regards to the salt add the 1/15 teaspoon for each 10 gallons of tank water now. THEN when you do a WC only add enough salt for that amount of water your adding back into the tank, not the entire amount of water in the tank... understand?

Where can I purchase a system then since online may not be my best option? And yes that does make sense. I'll be getting the salt soon then as far as the ro I know it's a bit more pricey I might have to wait until my next paycheck since my husband may not be too happy with my purchase even though he supports my hobby. :p

I'm not sure where to tell you to look but honestly on-line will not only give you the biggest variety but also the best prices even if you have to pay shipping. I've head of some people talk about water filters that can be added to a faucet that removes some things "similar" to RO but unless you can get info that they would actually remove ammonia in your case I wouldn't get one.

I'm not sure where to tell you to look but honestly on-line will not only give you the biggest variety but also the best prices even if you have to pay shipping. I've head of some people talk about water filters that can be added to a faucet that removes some things "similar" to RO but unless you can get info that they would actually remove ammonia in your case I wouldn't get one.

My ammonia is at a .25 in my tap water I was able to lower it now with that being said is it safe to do a huge water change? Let alone back to back without affecting the cycle to drop the nitrite levels, they are still high and I reallllyyy don't like that. It's been going on for a little too long. I still have the same reading for nitrates and nitrites in my tank from the previous post. Without having to get the ro since I can not afford it atm will big water changes be okay? I'm rather scared for my fish.

I also need to get this water under control because one of my platys have birth last night. I was able to save 4 and put them on a 1.5 gal tank of their own but the levels are the same In the fry tank since I used water from my 10 gallon. I'm at risk of hurting all my fish even the fry atm and need help!

How did you get your tap water from 2ppm to .25ppm, just curious.

If you only have .25ppm ammonia in the tap now it will be okay to do big WC's to get nitrites down. Just keep your eye on ammonia levels and do keep using the salt for nitrites as already discussed.

It was more of reading tests wrong for the water :/
My tap with filtered water has high nitrates and nitrites no ammonia
Tap without filter has .25 ammonia no nitrite or nitrates.

I do not have salt quite yet either so will the wcs suffice until I do get salt? I'm about to do a 75% watcher change and check the levels. How long can I wait before doing another water change? I have a feeling it's still going to be high even after that big of a change

I would do a 50% WC wait a couple hours, retest, then do over. I'd do up to 3 WC's in a day but that is about it for one day IMO. Don't worry about the salt if there is no nitrite in your tap water.

Can I wait about an hr before doing another water change? Or will that be too soon for them?

I did do a water change on the fry tank as well. Since it's a smaller container with tiny babies and a 3 gal filter I figured it would be okay. They're really calm so im hoping it's okay. I'll test everything once the water settles in a bit

Can I wait about an hr before doing another water change? Or will that be too soon for them?

Some do them that close together but I just like to give them a couple hours to adjust to the new levels before changing them again. In a dire emergency I'd do them back to back.

Back
Top Bottom