Anyone else have problems with nitrite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did some readings and from what I can tell it helps lower nitrates but not nitrites :/

My nitrites in both the 10 gal and fry tank are around 2.0ppm nitrates are
10 gal - 10-20
Fry - 5-10
Ammonia is .50 in 10 gallon between .50-1.0 from what I can tell on the readings in the fry tank.

How long does the nitrite part of the cycle last for? Ive heard it can take anywhere from 4 days to several weeks is this true? And how will I know when it's complete?

I did some readings and from what I can tell it helps lower nitrates but not nitrites :/ My nitrites in both the 10 gal and fry tank are around 2.0ppm nitrates are 10 gal - 10-20 Fry - 5-10 Ammonia is .50 in 10 gallon between .50-1.0 from what I can tell on the readings in the fry tank. How long does the nitrite part of the cycle last for? Ive heard it can take anywhere from 4 days to several weeks is this true? And how will I know when it's complete?

Disregard the last part I know nitrites and ammonia will be a 0 and I'll have some nitrates.

Is it common to have high nitrates and nitrites at the same time or has something gone wrong with the nitrite part of my cycle? Is a better question

It's not uncommon at all to have high readings of both nitrites and nitrates because some nitrobacter bacteria are still converting nitrites to nitrates which build up nitrate levels even tho they aren't high enough in number to be able to convert all the nitrites which gives you a high reading of them as well.

Thank you. I'd be lost if I didn't have your help. I'm going to wait another hr and do another change on my platy tank. Do you think it would be top much for the fry to handle if I do another change on their tank as well?

I didn't :) I need to check my levels In the platy tank as I type this. I'll get back to you with levels.

What kind of fish do you own? Tank set ups? You know a lot about what going on with me but I don't know a lot about you, I'd love to know!

With that being said have you ever kept rams? I may be given a 25 gallon tank by weeks end and would love your in put on stocking ideas. Move the platys? Keep them in the 10...I like marbled hatchets a lot and rams look fantastic. Someone with your experience may be able to help me figure something awesome out :) I also don't know what kind of plants or substrate I'd even add!

(Sorry I add so much at once, I don't know the next time you'll get a chance to reply so I smush it all in)

Wow about me... well watched my father in the 50's and 60's then was doing my own tanks by the 70's. Planted tanks has always been my thing but also kept reef tanks for many years. Right now I have tanks in size from a Fluval 6g Edge to my 220g 100% planted angelfish tank. A 4000g pond with a stream and 2nd pond further back in the yard. You can see all my albums if you click on the link at the bottom of the page in my signature. As for fish there aren't many I haven't kept over the years but for me plants are often the focal of a tank with fish being the decorations so to speak.

I've kept and bred German Blue rams and color variations. I've kept Bolivian Rams. In a 25g tank you could move the platies if you wanted, they just aren't my favorite although I do like the look of the hi-finned ones. Marbled hatchets work but you need a lid as they tend to jump especially when startled. Floating plants are really good for them as it makes them feel more secure, dim the lighting which they prefer, and I find they don't tend to jump as much.

You need to decide what type of lighting and bulbs your using before deciding on plants as light determines what plants will grow the best in a tank. Generally low light tolerant plants such as Anubia's, Java Fern's, Bolbitus, and Crypts work well for most light levels but especially low light set ups.

I forgot as well to ask about liquid testers I can't find any for nitrites nitrates ph kh and gh any suggestions on that?

Do you get JBL products in the states? All their tests are liquid for the parameters you mention

Wow about me... well watched my father in the 50's and 60's then was doing my own tanks by the 70's. Planted tanks has always been my thing but also kept reef tanks for many years. Right now I have tanks in size from a Fluval 6g Edge to my 220g 100% planted angelfish tank. A 4000g pond with a stream and 2nd pond further back in the yard. You can see all my albums if you click on the link at the bottom of the page in my signature. As for fish there aren't many I haven't kept over the years but for me plants are often the focal of a tank with fish being the decorations so to speak. I've kept and bred German Blue rams and color variations. I've kept Bolivian Rams. In a 25g tank you could move the platies if you wanted, they just aren't my favorite although I do like the look of the hi-finned ones. Marbled hatchets work but you need a lid as they tend to jump especially when startled. Floating plants are really good for them as it makes them feel more secure, dim the lighting which they prefer, and I find they don't tend to jump as much. You need to decide what type of lighting and bulbs your using before deciding on plants as light determines what plants will grow the best in a tank. Generally low light tolerant plants such as Anubia's, Java Fern's, Bolbitus, and Crypts work well for most light levels but especially low light set ups.

Do you still breed rams? They look gorgeous and I would love to have some. As for platys I'm starting to agree, I love my little guys but with the female already giving birth I'm not certain I want to continue that cycle since I don't have a big breeding tank for all the fry to grow in let alone trying to sell or give them away. I think I'm going to stay away from live bearers after this and try sticking with females if I do stay with them.
Would you suggest a ram or two for the 25 gal if I kept the platys with them?

Let's say 2 rams 4 platys and maybe a few hatchets? Or some bottom dwellers?

What are your suggestions on lighting and plant situations, this is my first planted tank and absolutely love the look of some that I've seen. I have no idea how to achieve that level though. I have no idea how to use ferts. I'm just getting the hang of water levels! Haha.

I'm very happy to hear you have such experience, I can't remember a time my mother didn't have fish or other aquatic animals. I would have loved to go to school for marine biology but nursing scoped me up :p aquatic life is still a huge love, hence why I worry so much about my own :p

I'm going to look at your pictures and let the jealousy over whelm me for a few moments now

Do you get JBL products in the states? All their tests are liquid for the parameters you mention

I was able to get an API tester. I'm not quite sure about JBL. I'm new to the hobby (doing it correctly at least) and am still getting the hang of things. I have test strips right now for kh and gh but everything else I use the liquid testers for which are very accurate. They're helping me fix water conditions in 3 tanks right now since the strips were giving me bad readings.

River, you deff have quite the set up. How long does it usually take you to establish a tank as big as you have? As far as setting everything up, growing plants, and adding fish?

The 220 scape is much better now as all the swords, crypts, val's have been removed and mostly all stem plants are in for a Dutch influenced scape. It took a good 6 months to get the 220 finished. It was dirted, and 85-90% planted right away so was cycled via a silent cycle within 10 days. I had my angels in by the 2 week mark. Planted tanks can be anything from very simple low light, low tech setups to very high light light, CO2, and dry ferts. For a newbie to planted tanks starting with a low light setup and easy plants is a good way to get your feet wet. So you need to first decide what you want from the tank and the kind of plants you want as the plants determine the type of lighting you need. It also helps to read and research about running planted tanks.

I don't breed anything anymore as my health took a bad turn a few years ago.

In a 25g you could do a pair of rams with your platies and 6 hatchetfish. One thing tho... if you want German Blue Rams it's best to let your tank mature for 4-6 months as they are very sensitive fish when it comes to unstable water parameters and to nitrates. When keeping these fish it's best to keep nitrates below 20ppm. Bolivian Rams are hardier and can be added sooner but aren't as colorful.

In a 25g you could do a pair of rams with your platies and 6 hatchetfish. One thing tho... if you want German Blue Rams it's best to let your tank mature for 4-6 months as they are very sensitive fish when it comes to unstable water parameters and to nitrates. When keeping these fish it's best to keep nitrates below 20ppm. Bolivian Rams are hardier and can be added sooner but aren't as colorful.

I'm sorry to hear about you health, I hope you're doing well now! I'm deff considering that stock option. I will do more research though. I want this tank to be fully planted with a few pots for hiding places or some type of rocks covered with moss would be cool! I love all of your plants, so vibrant and lively. I feel like it really adds that kick to a tank plus the contrast of fish and those green and reddish leaves look gorgeous. Would you suggest sand for the 25? That would be completely new to me as well I was thinking of having gravel possibly black (on the right and left of the tank) to really bring out the green of the plants and the colors of the fish them selves with tan sand in the middle of the gravel. Would it even be okay to add some of the sand under the gravel?
And a biggy do I put the sand and gravel in before adding water? Or can it easily be added after (rinsing is a must but is boiling?)

I will do a lot more research on rams since they are a newer discovery to me. Once my 10 gals cycle is complete could I use media to jump start the cycle in the 25? What all could I use?

And plants, yes yes yes. They are a must and I will continue working with low light plants for now. I will probably have to order some online to get the ones I really want since all the petsmarts (3 in my area) have little options.
I may even move all my plants from the 10 gallon over to the 25. I'll have to figure out what to do with the 10 gallon. Maybe a few rummynose tetras and a female betta :)

Do you like shrimp by chance? I use to have ghost shrimp and I enjoyed watching them. I love the little cherry shrimp :) I know they can be a butt to deal with sometimes though at least from my experience with them.

I have to start putting aside the money for the new tank. I'm going to ask for an ro or the hose you gave a thumbs up to for Christmas :p maybe I'll get lucky.
My husband already thinks I'm obsessed :) I already have 3 tanks up. About to have 4 with the 25 gal. And I have 3 on the way....promised I'd keep those in storage for now though and just keep the 5 gallon for sick bay maybe even just the 2.5 gal. I really love this :) it's worth it.

If your willing to do a touch extra work there are a couple Led fixtures that would work great. The brand I use it more expensive but if you buy the dimmer you can use the light from 10-100% which means you can start with lower light plants using the fixture at a lower light percentage and as you want to go into more advanced plants or non-green plants you can up the light and never have to buy another fixture. They are called Build my Leds... Freshwater - Build My LED, LLC. There are other Led's that are less expensive that Brian_Nano12g can help you with.

Also any plants from light light to high will greatly benefit from using a liquid carbon. There is a generic brand many use, including myself, that is very cheap to use. Also dry ferts which again are very economical to use in medium to high light tanks. If you go this route you can PM me and I can help you. For substrate I like Eco Complete myself but sand works. I will tell you a black substrate will really make plants and fish colors pop.

Recently Pet Smart has started carrying a lot of good plant species in those little boxes which can give you a realy head start. Check and see if they have them.

Yes you can use seeded media from the 10g to help jump start a new tank.

With the stock you listed RCS would probably get picked off and any babies for sure.

If your willing to do a touch extra work there are a couple Led fixtures that would work great. The brand I use it more expensive but if you buy the dimmer you can use the light from 10-100% which means you can start with lower light plants using the fixture at a lower light percentage and as you want to go into more advanced plants or non-green plants you can up the light and never have to buy another fixture. They are called Build my Leds... Freshwater - Build My LED, LLC. There are other Led's that are less expensive that Brian_Nano12g can help you with. Also any plants from light light to high will greatly benefit from using a liquid carbon. There is a generic brand many use, including myself, that is very cheap to use. Also dry ferts which again are very economical to use in medium to high light tanks. If you go this route you can PM me and I can help you. For substrate I like Eco Complete myself but sand works. I will tell you a black substrate will really make plants and fish colors pop. Recently Pet Smart has started carrying a lot of good plant species in those little boxes which can give you a realy head start. Check and see if they have them. Yes you can use seeded media from the 10g to help jump start a new tank. With the stock you listed RCS would probably get picked off and any babies for sure.

I'm going to make a list after work tomorrow and start doing serious reading on everything. I did a lot when first starting up this tank and have recently been relying on replies. I will gather all info and deff put it to use, especially with what you just said, that light would be an amazing touch. I really do love planted aquariums and plan to get better with them.

I will not add the shrimp with those fish! If I do plan to get some I will make a tank just for them instead :)

If your willing to do a touch extra work there are a couple Led fixtures that would work great. The brand I use it more expensive but if you buy the dimmer you can use the light from 10-100% which means you can start with lower light plants using the fixture at a lower light percentage and as you want to go into more advanced plants or non-green plants you can up the light and never have to buy another fixture. They are called Build my Leds... Freshwater - Build My LED, LLC. There are other Led's that are less expensive that Brian_Nano12g can help you with. Also any plants from light light to high will greatly benefit from using a liquid carbon. There is a generic brand many use, including myself, that is very cheap to use. Also dry ferts which again are very economical to use in medium to high light tanks. If you go this route you can PM me and I can help you. For substrate I like Eco Complete myself but sand works. I will tell you a black substrate will really make plants and fish colors pop. Recently Pet Smart has started carrying a lot of good plant species in those little boxes which can give you a realy head start. Check and see if they have them. Yes you can use seeded media from the 10g to help jump start a new tank. With the stock you listed RCS would probably get picked off and any babies for sure.

I forgot to ask one thing, you mentioned non green plants. I just added a few plants that have reddish/purple leaves mixed in with green leaves as well as a few plants that look like grass to really fill in the bottom of the tank. Were the red plants a bad idea on my part? I can send a picture in the am to give a better look. I was told they do well with low light (both plants) the woman said she planted some in her tank and they're been thriving but it could have just been a ploy :/

I'd have to see pic's but other than Crypts and Red Tiger Lotus most non-green plants will not color up or retain color and revert to green. I just hope they didn't sell you any not true aquatic plants.

I'd have to see pic's but other than Crypts and Red Tiger Lotus most non-green plants will not color up or retain color and revert to green. I just hope they didn't sell you any not true aquatic plants.

image-4077577617.jpg

This was the plant I was talking about.

If your talking about the grassy looking one that appears to be Dwarf Hair Grass which needs high light, CO2, and good macro and micro ferts.

Back
Top Bottom